Going to North Carolina? Help!

tort_luv_5055

Location (City and/or State)
New York (USA)
Hello all!

By reading the subject you probably are aware that this summer I am going to North Carolina.

My hatchling tortoise is going to have to stay home because the beach house we are renting does not allow pets.

Someone needs to keep an eye on him but I don't know anyone who can.

That being said, we have 2 dogs. The dogs need to be watched while we are away too. The lady who is coming to pet-sit knows ZERO about tortoises, so she can't care for Apollo properly. :(

Our vacation isn't until the summer, so I have plenty of time to figure something out. But it's a week so it isn't the type of just "throw out an extra helping of food and leave him be" type of thing. ;) He needs to be misted, bathed, supplemented and fed every day. The lights need to be turned on and off every day. The tank needs to be spot cleaned and wiped down every morning. His water needs to be switched out every night. This is routine. I don't want to stress out the tortoise and screw up his perfect schedule. What should I do?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated and is welcome.
Thanks!:) :tort:

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
No pets clauses usually do not apply to tortoises confined in tanks or tubs. Bring him with you. Any alternative arrangements you make will mess with his schedule, however, one week without food or water is tolerable for a tortoise and you can buy a timer for his lights. That way, the person watching the dogs simply has to give fresh water when needed and check to make sure he has not flipped over.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
A pet sitter should be able to do the basics like that... if they cant put lettuce in a tank and change water,, then I wouldn't want them watching my dogs! its not a scary snake...
get timers for the lights...

tort_luv_5055

New York (USA)
Re: RE: Going to North Carolina? Help!

Laura said:
A pet sitter should be able to do the basics like that... if they cant put lettuce in a tank and change water,, then I wouldn't want them watching my dogs! its not a scary snake...
get timers for the lights...

I would feel more comfortable being with him. If he flips or has an emergency, she might not recognize these as problems. I am afraid she might mess up. Lol I trust her its just tortoises are like children. They are much more advanced pets then dogs. They need more than food and water. (Also, I keep the heat light on at night during the winter because my house gets REALLY COLD!!! So I don't really need to buy a timer until he gets older and can tolerate lower temps. The only light that needs to be turned on and off is the UVB.) Anyways, I could give Apollo all of the care he needs instead of some that the sitter can give, if that makes any sense. And traveling with him is not that hard.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Do you have a friend whose house you could take your tortoise and it's enclosure to?

tort_luv_5055

New York (USA)
Re: RE: Going to North Carolina? Help!

kathyth said:
Do you have a friend whose house you could take your tortoise and it's enclosure to?

Nope. :( I am actually starting to change my mind. I...I think i might leave him here. I mean, in NC its vacation. I don't want to have to worry about the tortoise. I am going to worry about him being at the house anyways though. So I still don't know. Geez, this is hard!!

Jhwells46

I realize that this post was created in January and you may have already taken this vaca, but I love in Greensboro NC and would be willing to help if you still need someone to look after him. What type of tortoise is it? I own a leopard tortoise.