Going on a longer vacation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michifreimann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, WA
Context: I'm a college student in a (apartment-style) dorm, and I have a Russian tortoise.

I'm going home for winter break, so a little less than three weeks. Because it's winter break, there will literally be nobody here, and I can't take my tortoise home with me on the plane. I have the lights set to a timer, but what should I do about food? Would he be okay for that long without food, or is trying to find someone to take care of him my only option?
Thanks!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Really if you can find somebody to check on him daily would be best. I have saw too many bad things happen like heat go off, timers or lamps burn out/malfunction, ect when folks leave animals alone. Three weeks is a long time. If you must leave him alone, the good news is he will not starve in three weeks. Does he like cactus? Cactus has a long life (if the tortoise does not eat it first :D ). Also you might try planting some of those living lettuces or other plants.

He is of good weight correct? Another idea, but it is a bit late at this point, might have been to put him into a short hibernation/brumation.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
3 weeks is long but in going from Canada to st.louis mo for 2 months but I have someone lined up to take care of all my friends

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I recommend you find a friend to look after him during your break. Three weeks is a very long time. I was nervous when I left mine for 3 nights. Good luck.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you can cool him off, stop feeding and let him go 'dormant'.... or plant things in the enclosure.. Pansies, cactus, . or just get a person to come by and chek on things..OR take him to a home of a friend.. maybe someone here can assist?

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
I would agree with others here. The longest I'll leave Emrys is three nights, but I spend a lot of time worrying even when I do that! Before I got Emrys, I researched the different ways I could have someone take care of him if I needed to go away for longer, and not only do I have the option to ask friends I also found a trusted local pet care service that will visit your house once or twice a day and do what you tell them to, and also found three local reptile boarding centres that I could take Emrys to.

I don't know if these are common where you are, but do have a search for reptile boarding in your local area, and for pet care services if you're happy to let someone into your house. Though I included that on my list, I consider it my last option because I'm not comfortable with a stranger having a key to my home.

Status
Not open for further replies.