Gnats....

Status
Not open for further replies.

68merc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
I have gnats in my enclosure... Any idea how to get rid of them?
Im using cypress mulch and have weeds from the yard planted in it. If I can't find another way to get rid of them ill take the cypress out and put it in the freezer for a week...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have found there are two types of gnat in tortoise habitats; one is usually associated with having fruit in the habitat and the other is usually because of the substrate being too damp.

I'd allow it to dry out totally. Keep stirring it up so it dries all the way through, and in the mean time, hang one of those sticky strips over the habitat to catch the little buggers. I have gnats right now too. I brought them in from outside with a bunch of plants in my Christmas Tree Storage bin.

I don't think its as important for baby desert tortoises to have a moist substrate. They don't seem to pyramid as readily as the African tortoises do. Just soak them every day and let the substrate be dry.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I tried to set up "bioactive" substrate... and boy has it been active haha... You aren't alone... Good luck... But bugs are a fact of life, so if they aren't over powering or pestering the torts, I have sort of given up... its almost more realistic ^_^

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
Well the gnats were there before the one time we gave them strawberry tops (they only ate the greens). I will dry out the cypress starting tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.