glass terrarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

HtVic

5 Year Member
I see many people have rubbermaid plastic tank....Is glass terrarium not good for tortoises?

if use plastic enclosure, they don't have lid, how do they keep the humidity, and also in long term, the heat light will probably melt the plastic and release some sort of toxic, something like that, that's not good for tortoise right?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I have CDTs and they are outside 24/7 during all months other than winter...so no need for daily indoor enclosure for them.

I also have two Redfoot Tortoise....they are little so they do have indoor enclosures....one I have in a glass enclosure and the other in a 50 gallon rubbermaid tub (I have cut out light area on the lid and use the lid to cover approx 70 % of the top) I do not get their enclosures so hot that the lights ever make the enclosure "hot" so do not have direct concerns of heat emitted toxic fumes....

The two RESs are in a glass tank :D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
There are certainly pros and cons of both glass tanks and plastic tubs. Part of the answer is sheer size. To keep a mid-sized tort you need a pretty big glass tank, which is expensive and heavy. On the other hand, plastic tubs are not nearly as attractive.

The heat issue with the tubs is really not a big deal- they should never get warmer than about 95ish or so if you are doing things right. A lid is helpful, and if you don't have one, one option is to turn another tub upside down on top of the main tub to make a nice high lid that the heat and light can hang from.

HtVic

5 Year Member
how do you keep the humidity?

in my situation, 'cause I live in Canada, tend to be cold. I have to keep tortoise indoor in winter for sure, but in summer, I can bring them to the balcony, but still feel chilling because is windy.

I have to get the heat emitted to keep them warm

Status
Not open for further replies.