Gladys

Status
Not open for further replies.

shayee

5 Year Member
This is Gladys, our first tortoise and she came from Pet Smart in Tupelo....Do you see her legs in the front? Well this is all they do. She scoots herself around barely moving the front legs and pushing off with her back legs. They were feeding her pellets that look like Trix cereal. Does anyone know if this will ever change or is she gonna be like this forever....Poor baby, but I love her and will do whatever I can to help. Just concerned the heavier she will get that she will not be able to move...Any advice please!!!!

003.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sharon:

Was she like that when you bought her?

I'll relate a story and see if it might fit your situation:

I had a really nice, personable box turtle...very friendly and outgoing and would eat right out of your hand...not afraid of people at all. I adopted her out to a teacher of grammar school aged kids. After about a month the teacher brought me back the turtle saying there was something wrong with her because she wouldn't bring out her head or her front legs...she would just push herself around with her back legs.

After a couple months of being back here with me, the turtle was just fine again. I surmised what happened was the kids, behind the teacher's back, were teasing the turtle by poking her, maybe even with pencils, etc. The turtle was afraid to come out because of the kids' teasing.

Is it possible that your tortoise had been suffering from some kind of abuse before you got it? Its definitely NOT normal for them to not use their front legs. It might be a good idea to see a vet for a close inspection to make sure there's nothing wrong with those legs.

shayee

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Sharon:

Was she like that when you bought her?

I'll relate a story and see if it might fit your situation:

I had a really nice, personable box turtle...very friendly and outgoing and would eat right out of your hand...not afraid of people at all. I adopted her out to a teacher of grammar school aged kids. After about a month the teacher brought me back the turtle saying there was something wrong with her because she wouldn't bring out her head or her front legs...she would just push herself around with her back legs.

After a couple months of being back here with me, the turtle was just fine again. I surmised what happened was the kids, behind the teacher's back, were teasing the turtle by poking her, maybe even with pencils, etc. The turtle was afraid to come out because of the kids' teasing.

Is it possible that your tortoise had been suffering from some kind of abuse before you got it? Its definitely NOT normal for them to not use their front legs. It might be a good idea to see a vet for a close inspection to make sure there's nothing wrong with those legs.

She was like this when we got her. I am about to post some more pics....her front fingernails have gotten really long also cause she doesnt use her front legs.....

Status
Not open for further replies.