Getting tort to poop for sample

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
My tortoise doesn't poop too often..... Maybe once or twice a week. Although i feel he may eat some >.< it's always healthy poop.

I just feel like with my luck he will poop a week before the vet visit and not again by the time i need it. Any tricks to get him to poop on command?

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
my torts get daily soaks, and very seldom do i have clean water after each session. i've read somewhere that poop samples out of soaking are acceptable for fecal tests.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
Okay, that's good to know, i wasn't sure. I give him soaks every other day but he doesn't poop til after i take him out >.<

How long is the poop good for? Odd question....

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
I wouldn' say more than two days at most. If you have to store it for a day or two the put in a sealable tube (old photo film tubes work great!) and keep it cool. To keep it from drying out you might add a few! drops of water. :)

Two or three samples from successive days would be the best case scenario. Don't forget to label with the date!

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
for larger parasites like worms, i think fresheness is not too critical. but for the microscopic parasites, it's a matter of few hours i think. labs will still test but won't be able guarantee the absence of bad germs from an old sample even if they don't see anything.

for a routine check without anything visibly wrong, an older stool sample probably will do....

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Mobile, Alabama
Frankie (sulcata) poops after a good warm up. If he is outside that is during sun basking. Inside also as the room warms up and he is awake (first thing in the morning).

He poops less frequent in the winter (get's less food) so may be one or two poops almost every day. Summer brings lots of poops, starting in the morning and then less as the day goes on.

He does poop while sitting in water about 50% of the time.

Veterinarians can get a "direct sample" during a visit at the clinic. Depending on the size of the tortoise that can involve turning the tortoise over pulling back the tail and then inserting a probe into the vent. Most turtles don't like this procedure.

undignified.jpg

Veterinarian getting a direct stool sample from Frankie. Frankie's expression tells all.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Frankie (sulcata) poops after a good warm up. If he is outside that is during sun basking. Inside also as the room warms up and he is awake (first thing in the morning).

He poops less frequent in the winter (get's less food) so may be one or two poops almost every day. Summer brings lots of poops, starting in the morning and then less as the day goes on.

He does poop while sitting in water about 50% of the time.

Veterinarians can get a "direct sample" during a visit at the clinic. Depending on the size of the tortoise that can involve turning the tortoise over pulling back the tail and then inserting a probe into the vent. Most turtles don't like this procedure.

undignified.jpg

Veterinarian getting a direct stool sample from Frankie. Frankie's expression tells all.
Awwwww :(