Getting Started

gunther70

Location (City and/or State)
Surprise, AZ
I moved to Surprise, AZ from Texas last year. I'm interested in raising tortoises outdoors and would like to know the best 2-3 species of tortoises that will do well in this environment. I prefer Hermann/Russian size tortoises. I look forward to you suggestions and comments.
Much appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome!

Contact any reptile club or rescue in your area and try to get a desert tortoise. I love this species!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I moved to Surprise, AZ from Texas last year. I'm interested in raising tortoises outdoors and would like to know the best 2-3 species of tortoises that will do well in this environment. I prefer Hermann/Russian size tortoises. I look forward to you suggestions and comments.
Much appreciated.
Hello and welcome.

First and foremost, realize that most of the tortoise care info you find online will be old, outdated, wrong info. Vets, pet stores, FB groups, and YT personalities are all still using and promoting old wrong info that has been passed down for generations of tortoise keepers. We are working to correct that problem here at TFO.

You will need to "raise" them indoors in large closed chambers. Outside full time is not good for babies of any species. Even the local desert tortoise species that occur their naturally don't do well outdoors full time as babies in a captive setting. The following species should do well for you outside full time, with temperature controlled shelters, once they get large enough:

Desert tortoises - Super personalities and completely suited to your area.
Russian tortoises- Very hardy. Hit or miss on personality.
hermanni - Need more humidity, but very hardy and good personality.
Indian stars - Tend to be shy, but they like it hot. Need humidity.
Burmese stars - Tend to be outgoing, like it hot, need humidity.
Leopard tortoise - Hardy, tolerate heat well, hit or miss on personality.

For best results, start here:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome to the forum and you came to the right place for great advice and truly caring people!

Oklahoma
I personally live in Oklahoma and have a sulcate tortoise. They can’t live outdoors for about two years, or once they get a certain size. You could rescue an older one, or have it live indoors for about the first 1 1/2 years or more.

gunther70

Surprise, AZ
Thanks to everyone that responded. I tend to be like a sponge and soak up as much as possible to glean the best from the content. Based on "Tom The Dog Trainer" comments about humidity, knowing it is very low here in Surprise, AZ, (currently 10%@11:00am) I believe I can achieve it by developing a micro climate using the proper substrates. Since it is strongly recommended to keep baby tortoises indoors, at what age can they be moved outside and should this be done in the spring?
Look forward to your responses.