Hello friends'

Status
Not open for further replies.

kansas77

5 Year Member
Hi my name is Mike, and I'm from south-central KS.

I have been fascinated with turtles ever since I was a young kid where I converted my sandbox to an aquatic turtle pen every spring! I would have a variety of species based on whatever I could get my hands on each year!

Now that I am getting my two young boys interested in pet turtles, I have recently become very interested in raising tortoises, and I am in the process of redesigning a backyard for this. Of course, the extreme KS weather makes it more difficult! I'm going to be looking for one or two larger species for outdoors, and something smaller for an indoor setup.

Being relatively new to this I appreciate all the help I can find here! Also, any info on reputable dealers or recommended species is greatly appreciated. Looking forward to talking with you all!

Sincerely,

Mike

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
CedarCreekLake, Texas
Hello Mike and welcome to the forum! I live in texas and have a 10 month old sulcata. I'm sure someone from Kansas will be along soon and can give you better advice about raising torts there! Good Luck, oh and I'm glad you're passing on your love of turtles/tortoises to your sons!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...what type of species are you looking to get? I would do lots of research first. Below my signature at the tortoise library you can look up some different species.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mike and welcome to the Forum!

You may need to re-think the larger-outside tortoise thing. Most of the larger tortoises don't hibernate and will need to be kept warm during the winter.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Hi Mike!

My boyfriend is in Wichita (I'm in Oregon...he's a pilot, stuck there for work), so I'm quite familiar with weather out there, which is CRAZY!!

I'm going thru the same issues as you. I recently acquired a rescue Sulcata at work, now trying to make my house and yard comfortable and "climate appropriate" for him.

You have dry and humid seasons there, and the warm summer nights will be idea! But the super cold winters...definitely can't stay outdoors. So convert garage, spare room, or dare I say it....make your whole house tort friendly (not popular, not ideal, but many of us do live with our torts running loose).

My biggest issue currently is humidity, too dry right now. Looking at humidifiers or misting systems. Sulcata's need humidity and high heat. I'm ok with the heat part, I'm always cold myself so good excuse to turn up the ambient heat. But with humidity....here in Oregon we have major mold and mildew problems, so people dehumidify their houses. Dilemma. I was just getting ready to post about humidifiers.

Good luck and keep us posted on your project!

Sandy in Oregon
Veterinary Technician, 21 years of critter luvin'
Schlomo aka "Mo" the rescue Sulcata, "man without a face"
Dexter and Lola (Basenjis...show dogs extraordinare)

No kids, no husband, just critters and I'm happy.
Sent from my iPad using TortForum mobile app

kansas77

5 Year Member
Thanks all for the responses! It's great to hear from others with similiar interests!

I'm considering sulcata or leopard for the backyard. Of course, that may change based on the more I learn about the species since this is a lifelong commitment and I want to make sure I can keep them happy.

I'm prepared to have a heated enclosure as well in the backyard for the winter. I'm just not sure of how warm, or how large the building should be during the winter for one or two tortoises? Also, whether one species or the other might be better for the KS climate, or other suggestions??

Indoor i'm considering a starting with a hatchling or juvenile redfoot for now, or smaller species.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I'm interested in hearing more experienced tort peeps recommendations for species.

I'm picking up a CL tort tonight...an adult Greek. Read up on their care last night, sound alot less maintenance than a Sulcata. Sounds like they tolerate lower temps and humidity. My Sulcata is going to be alot of work this winter here in Oregon.

Sandy in Oregon
Veterinary Technician, 21 years of critter luvin'
Schlomo aka "Mo" the rescue Sulcata, "man without a face"
Dexter and Lola (Basenjis...show dogs extraordinare)

No kids, no husband, just critters and I'm happy.
Sent from my iPad using TortForum mobile app

NickWag

5 Year Member
Mandeville, LA
kansas77 said:
I have been fascinated with turtles ever since I was a young kid where I converted my sandbox to an aquatic turtle pen every spring! I would have a variety of species based on whatever I could get my hands on each year!

Hey Mike! This is almost EXACTLY what I did as a child! Only difference was I used kiddie pools and made some makeshift pens with what I could find in the woods.
But, I'd have my neighbors (all family) picking up turtles as they crossed the road and bring them to my little area.
Great to meet you!

-Nick

kansas77

5 Year Member
Funny you say that Nick. Just yesterday eve I was driving to my girlfriends house who lives out of town. Picked up two nice west painted turtles crossing the highway. She also has a little boy, so i made a kiddie pool pen for them. Once it starts cooling off we'll release them into the nearby nature reserve.

NickWag

5 Year Member
Mandeville, LA
kansas77 said:
Funny you say that Nick. Just yesterday eve I was driving to my girlfriends house who lives out of town. Picked up two nice west painted turtles crossing the highway. She also has a little boy, so i made a kiddie pool pen for them. Once it starts cooling off we'll release them into the nearby nature reserve.

That's so awesome! Man, I miss that!

Status
Not open for further replies.