Getting discouraged about Tortoise enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

clare n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Essex uk
Aquarium user here, zero issue. Fantastic results. Happy, healthy tortoise.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Building a table is in fact cheaper. And I hear people saying they have tables that are 4x2 feet, I have an terrarium for my tortoise that are 6x2 feet. I think tables are better an if my terrain wasn't the size it is I would probably not be using it and just build one. The open top isn't that huge of a problem build higher sides if you want more of a tank effect, but it will restrict airflow like tanks. Tanks however have been used and people have no problem, either way you go you want to end up outdoors if all possible, if you plan indoor housing for awhile I would just build a big table, and have room for a few inches of substrate to help with humidity, and also a 1 gallon mister they help a bunch.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Concerning glass sides verse solid, ALL 12 of my tortoises corner climb regardless if they can see out or not. I see corner climbing leads to side shuffle wall climbing. With this observation I can draw three conclusions, 1) the tortoise sees out and observes the limitless bounty of yard and is trying to get out,
2) the tortoise sees the the glass/walls as just something else to climb. Or,
3) tortoises, lacking the building of tools, are trying to use their nails for etching tortographics for the future generations of tortoises.

My point here is its easy to guess and speculate but one should really rely on solid, backup able information.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I agree with Cowboy, my torts have been in a clear container, a Rubbermaid container and now reside in a very large horse watering trough, and they both still try climbing the walls especially when they hear me by the side of the enclosure

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
Concerning glass sides verse solid, ALL 12 of my tortoises corner climb regardless if they can see out or not. I see corner climbing leads to side shuffle wall climbing. With this observation I can draw three conclusions, 1) the tortoise sees out and observes the limitless bounty of yard and is trying to get out,
2) the tortoise sees the the glass/walls as just something else to climb. Or,
3) tortoises, lacking the building of tools, are trying to use their nails for etching tortographics for the future generations of tortoises.

My point here is its easy to guess and speculate but one should really rely on solid, backup able information.

Lol that's my guess tortographics

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
If your tort is still under 4 inches, keep him in the 40 gallon breeder tank, TRUST ME. I raised my little sully in a 40 gallon breeder tank, and followed Toms care pretty much to a tee. Humidity, soaks, perfect basking spot, a warm humid hide for sleeping, and good variety of greens. vitimins-- TNT and Minerall. IF you want to hault your torts pyramiding and have a beautiful tort, I would follow toms sulcata care sheet. Once your tort is to a certain size,(you will know bc he will be all over that 40 gallon tank when he gets a few inches on him.) Then I would transfer him over to his big tort table to grow in to for a few years. Doing it this ways allows for the tort to become bord with the 40 gallon tank, then have a whole new start with a bigger envirnment. Thats how i did it and my tort could be happier or smoother. good luck

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I've had some tortoises not mind clear side some didn't like it and would stress not cuz they are trying to get out but because of what's on the other side. Lol but mostly box turtles to me have this problem then Toetoises. My my Toetoises don't even try to climb out ever and the sides are glass, I have raised them since weeks old and they don't fear humans at all so they don't stress when I'm in the room. I think both work great, tables to me have the edge cuz you can make them any size and or shape and be more creative and it's cheaper. Tanks have the more clean look tho.

rideburton87

5 Year Member
NW burbs, Illinois
I too had the same frustration with the whole humidity situation with my tortoise box I built for my baby sulcata. After never being able to sustain the correct humidity I just recently built a closed chamber that I saw off of Tom's threads. I would highly recommend putting the time and effort into building one. Your tortoise is only a baby once and if you screw up now you'll never get the chance to go back and do it right and he'll have to live with the consequences the rest of his life. Plus it was a lot of fun building a bad *** closed chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.