Get me started!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Grand Forks
Well... I got that itch again... Getting another pet... While watching Youtube videos two weeks ago I saw a diamondback terrapin and fell in love... They are so gorgeous... I found a breeder and will be getting one hopefully this summer... Well I need some help from you guys! I currently have a 20 gallon tank that's it can I get a list of everything you guys recommend and things I need please =) And do DT's need a little bit of saltwater if that makes sense?

M

Maggie Cummings

I raised my DBT without salt water and they grew up fine and beautiful...you need a basking platform and a filter, a Fluval would do it and you'll need a light and some plants and some rocks making a cave...substrate

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
East Grand Forks
How long do you think a 20 gallon tank would last me? And how often do you clean the tank? Can you mix DBT's with RES's?

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
gopherhockey03 said:
How long do you think a 20 gallon tank would last me? And how often do you clean the tank? Can you mix DBT's with RES's?

DBTs can be aggresive, especially as hatchlings. There have been cases of terrapins being mauled and legs literally torn off. Plus, DBTs would do better in brackish water (to ward off fungal infections), which isn't an RES environment that I would recommend.

dksharktooth

5 Year Member
Get at least a 55 gallon

I got my 55 gallon tank for $50 on craigslist. Great condition.

Craigslist.com search for keywords like 55 gallon 75 gallon tank aquarium
It searches local postings in your state/area

You basically agree to meet the person selling the tank somewhere of your choice.

Win Win.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I was thinking at least a 55g too! it a pain to start small and having to upgrade. Just do it once. I agree, do not mix them.
Since you have time , just keep searching for a good deal. Sometimes big fish stores have tanks way cheaper then pet store chains.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
How exciting....and those are gorgeous turtles for sure....

I would second the getting a 55 gallon tank....remember that you will also then need to get the filtration system for the larger tank ....but better to go as big as you are able to :D

I too have been watching CL for an affordable 125+ tank, too bad you do not live here near the high desert...there is a nice set up tank, stand, canopy 55 gallon tank all for 50 bucks...

I bet you can look on your CL and find a deal...don't forget to look in the free stuff as well....read one on our CL for 55 gallon tank alone for free...

jonathan512

5 Year Member
Keep in mind they usually get up to 4 inches in the 1st yr ! lol they dnt need brackish water if they're captive bred but I'm sure it helps

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
The 20 gallon may last couple months depending on the age of the hatchling once u recieve it, at 3-4 months they can have grown a good bit and would need something larger, during the first year growth is rather rapid then slows, best bet is to look on craigs list and such and get the largest tank u can afford.. u will need a good filter, canister filter is best, a nice basking spot is very important, I like to use floating style so u save swiming space, submersible water heater, large plants and hanging plants, the turtles like to hide in these and use them for rest spots, especially during the night, the water conditions for them varies, some say hatchlings do well in freash water, others say brackish or salt, I dont know the answer either

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
East Grand Forks
Well I was mostly wondering about mixing RES with DBT because on my CL there is a 155 Gallon tank for $100 with EVERYTHING!!! The whole set up and it looks gorgeous but the catch if you take there 3 RES with it!!! So IDK!!!! And thanks for all the input guys!!!

lizbeth490

5 Year Member
Pembroke Pines
Funny, I got the itch too and stubbled upon DBT's and completly feel in love. Getting two babies next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.