Geometric tortoise shell. Illegal to own or use in photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafink

5 Year Member
Hi. I thought this would be the best forum to come to with this issue. Basically I came across a tortoise shell in a run down charity shop a few days back. I know you shouldn't buy a shell under 100 years old or without provenance, but it was such a beautiful shell I gave them a 'donation' for it.

A bit of research tonight and I am very concerned that it is a geometric tortoise shell and that they are endangered. Obviously this makes me a bit worried about owning it, but more to the point I was thinking of using it for a photo project, and then possibly selling the photos.

Does anyone know the legalities of this? I know I can not sell it on, I wouldn't want to. But I don't want to get in trouble using it in a photograph.

Thanks for your time. Any help would be seriously appreciated! Image (hopefully) attached.
View attachment 55287

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It probably depends what country you live in. But I really don't know. Stay tuned...I'm sure there are folks here who know the answer.

Can we see a picture?

Lafink

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
It probably depends what country you live in. But I really don't know. Stay tuned...I'm sure there are folks here who know the answer.

Can we see a picture?

Sorry, the attachment didn't seem to pop up. Here's a link to it http://www.flickr.com/photos/shellystillphotography/9713506383/

I'm in the UK. I work in an auction room and the law is we can not sell any tortoise shell under 100 years old. Just not sure about endangered species.

Attachments

• IMAG0259.jpg
    IMAG0259.jpg
    650.4 KB · Views: 97

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I'd go Indian Star, and not that "old". Looks like the typical 4-5" European animals that have become popular over the past few years.....

Lafink

5 Year Member
Good to know that it might not be the geometric. There is dirt in the shell that makes me think someone has dug it up in their garden and not known what to do with it so given it to the charity shop.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
EricIvins said:
I'd go Indian Star, and not that "old". Looks like the typical 4-5" European animals that have become popular over the past few years.....

I am going to agree with Eric. Geometrics have more of a square to round shape to them especially towards the anterior(or tail end of the animal). They also tend to get speckles at the marginal scutes and limited radiations on the marginals as seen on this specimen. Nice shell though.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
That is a star, not Geometric. How big is it? I doubt you'd find a 100 year+ indian star in the UK, they were not heavily imported from what I understand. The oldest ones on the web in the UK I can find are estimated at 30 years.

Lafink

5 Year Member
The age of the shell has to be over 100 years old in order to sell it, the actual tortoise could be long gone. That's in the antiques trade though, so it includes jewellery and boxes with the shell on. This one is 15cm long, 10 wide and 8cm high.

Status
Not open for further replies.