General update and slug control ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Hey all, I have not logged on in forever. I'm sorry, I've missed you crazies.
Things have been super hectic in my neck of the woods. Hubby had a heart attack, and subsequently we learned of a birth defect he has that no one ever caught before. His Dr told him to work less and play more, (his heart won't last as long as most peoples) Right after that I was offered a full time job, a great full time job (lots of bennies for the whole family) and Oscar is the best pet ever! He does not complain or anything. :D (thats my update!)

Now that the sun is occasionally shining here in Oregon, Oscar is getting more and more outside days. Usually I have to flick one or two small (Like 1/4 inch) slugs off of him. Today there were a dozen! I've searched the site, and see that they aren't poisonous. But, is there anything I can do to decrease their numbers? I know not to use poison, I just don't like them crawling all over him. What if one gets under/inside his shell? Am I just being silly and girly? Tell me the truth :p Thanks everyone!

LindaF

5 Year Member
I don't know what to tell you. My red foot is his own slug control. I think he would eat slugs until he would burst. You should she him chow down on the Texas sized slugs he finds here - GROSS! Sorry I'm not much help, but I bet others will offer good advice soon. I really don't think you have to worry about them getting inside his shell.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Slugs are harmless to animals but they will devour plants. They're actually good food for turtles and some tortoises will occasionally eat them, mainly Burmese and Redfoots. I've never seen one of my Russian tortoises show any interest, despite slugs being very common in their enclosures.
I don't worry about them myself but I've heard of a few of ways that the "old timers" around here get rid of them:

A bowl of beer-they are supposedly attracted by the scent, crawl in and drown.
Cereal mixed with salt-they crawl on the cereal to eat it and the salt dehydrates them, they shrivel up and die.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have to also agree with beer in a dish and the beer actually kills them..

Hope your husband is okay now..

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I notice slugs in the grass when the grass is wet during the evening. Is there a lot of moisture or dew on the grass when the russian is outside?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I'll take them, my RF and boxes love them
The best remedy I have ever heard of being used, is beer in a dish, though personally I have never used it myself.

M

Maggie Cummings

It's still raining in my part of Oregon. Salt is good for slugs, box turtles are also good and the beer thing works too. I would get a box turtle. I have one or two or more you can borrow if you want. They are disease and parasite free and you can borrow as many as you want long enough to eat your slugs and you can come and meet Bob too...

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Thanks D'marcus he's doing well. We just found out that he may be having surgery at the end of summer. It will help fix part of the problem. A good thing! We are in our 30's so this has been completely unexpected.

Maggie that would be so cool, how do you keep the boxies safe at night? Oscar comes in and sleeps in his Tupperware box.
Its definitely wet and dewy in the grass. We have not gone three days without rain all year. Hubby heard on the radio that if we get 7 more inches, it'll qualify as a hundred year winter (precipitation wise). I may put beer out, then pick it up when Oscar is out...I was kinda worried about him eating beer filled slugs. But they'd probably die in the beer.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
The other organic product that works that is not poisonous, is iron phosphate, found in products like Sluggo. This is safe for plants, in fact fertilizes them, won't hurt dogs/cats if they ingest, etc. Actually says safe around pets and wildlife. Not like the usual Slug bait. You could put it in small trays near or sprinkle around the outside of the area your tort lives.
It works really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.