General Question on Leo Tort Tables

SBobba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Should a Leopard tortoise's indoor enclosure be a closed chambered or an open topped tortoise table? Or maybe something else? I'm speaking for an 8 inch tortoise (about 9 years old)

Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
For that size leopard, it needs a really big space, like a whole room with a humid hide. Better to house it in a heated shed for winter and outside for summer with a hide box you can lock him in at night

SBobba

5 Year Member
Cincinnati, Ohio
For that size leopard, it needs a really big space, like a whole room with a humid hide. Better to house it in a heated shed for winter and outside for summer with a hide box you can lock him in at night
How big should the area be?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As large as you can go, minimum 4x15 or 6x12 larger if you can. This is if he can get outside for summer and any warm spring and fall days. If you live where it doesn't get freezing cold during the day, you could house him outside all year with a heated dog house style hide or heated shed.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Yeah an 8x8 would be fine indoors if you have the space. Depending on the average temperature and humidity of where you live keeping the temperature and humidity consistent could be difficult for a leopard tortoise. But all is doable I have several indoors enclosures I made myself and they all hold heat and humidity just fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is much easier to maintain optimal temperatures in a closed chamber of some sort. Any open table is going to take on the temperatures and humidity of the air in the room.

A large open table can work if you can put it in its own room, and then heat and humidify the entire room.