Advice on tort tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

phunkeepunk

5 Year Member
Hiya,
Am a new(couple months) owner of two redfoots, bought from a friend & they came with a terrarium. Been to the vets today, who said torts are better housed with tortoise tables. I keep hearing them mentioned but don't know much about them, can I get some general advice please. Especially helpful would be how to keep humidity up, as I understand tort tables are open topped?
Sorry if this has been covered in previous threads :/
Eamma

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
First can I ask how big is the terrarium and how big are the redfoots? I may (depending on your answers) disagree with your Vet and suggest you just keep using what you already have. ;):D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I'm with Jacqui :p As long as the terrarium is large enough for your torts, most of the time glass enclosures work better for Redfoots, because of the humidity issue.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Yea terrariums are great as long as they are big enough for the animals living in them. I really have no idea why terrariums get such a bad rep when it comes to torts but with every other reptile there great.

When I first researched tortoises I saw constantly "No Aquariums" but when I read the specs of a good tortoise table for hatchlings the specs seemed about the same as the aquarium. About the only thing I read was that the glass confuses them and they constantly rub on it trying to get through, I never saw that in any pet stores or in any other peoples setups. I am yet to see any of my little guys, 1 sulcata, 2 Hermanns and a Black Friday Redfoot ever rub the glass. They come up to look out and go back. 1 of my Hermanns, DigDug, is confused by the rock picture background and is constantly trying to climb over the rocks. It's not an all day thing, but he does do it once a day at least. When i was researching tort tables I noticed a lot of them had clear viewing sides.

I do have my tanks insulated with silver reflective insulation on the back, sides and top. I can completely open the top if needed to let things air out or close them to keep the humidity up.

When the little guys are bigger I'm sure I will build a table, probably enclosed to control temps and humidity, but I only plan to build because large aquariums are so expensive.

phunkeepunk

5 Year Member
Wow! Thank you for quick response :)

Their terrarium is 120x38cm & they are 6cm each. The humidity was my main concern & understand that terrarium controls that better.

Status
Not open for further replies.