general health of a 5 month old redfoot tortoise

lawlessangel76

Location (City and/or State)
Oldsmar,fl
hi I have a 5 month old red foot,he/she has a CHE and a coil UVB,I have already been told not to use the coil UVB,I have been using a 75 watt zoomed basking light,I have also been told that's wrong too,so many different opinions,I know the CHE is right,it stays on all day,Malakai is in a 40 gallon tank,it's covered on all sides,yes yes I know tanks are bad for tortoises,but it's my red eared sliders old tank,and I'm struggling with money,when it gets to be a year old I already have 2 places it can go,my main goal is the correct lighting,can someone tell me exactly what lights I need,the name,wattage how far away from the tortoise it should be,I bring her out in the sun for 1 hour a day,3 days a week,I give her protein once a month,she/he gets fruit 3 times a week and everyday food that I rotate everyday, either zucchini,mustard & turnip Greens,yellow squash,Butternut squash,romaine,dandelion Greens,peppers,collards,kale,Texas mallow,hibiscus leaves & flower,is there anything I'm doing too much of or not enough,my sulcata is 8 yro,I forgot what is was like to raise a baby again,also how much should a 5 month old red foot weigh
thank you in advance 🙂🐢

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
hi I have a 5 month old red foot,he/she has a CHE and a coil UVB,I have already been told not to use the coil UVB,I have been using a 75 watt zoomed basking light,I have also been told that's wrong too,so many different opinions,I know the CHE is right,it stays on all day,Malakai is in a 40 gallon tank,it's covered on all sides,yes yes I know tanks are bad for tortoises,but it's my red eared sliders old tank,and I'm struggling with money,when it gets to be a year old I already have 2 places it can go,my main goal is the correct lighting,can someone tell me exactly what lights I need,the name,wattage how far away from the tortoise it should be,I bring her out in the sun for 1 hour a day,3 days a week,I give her protein once a month,she/he gets fruit 3 times a week and everyday food that I rotate everyday, either zucchini,mustard & turnip Greens,yellow squash,Butternut squash,romaine,dandelion Greens,peppers,collards,kale,Texas mallow,hibiscus leaves & flower,is there anything I'm doing too much of or not enough,my sulcata is 8 yro,I forgot what is was like to raise a baby again,also how much should a 5 month old red foot weigh
thank you in advance 🙂🐢
65 watt flood light bulb or a 5500K to 6500K led flood light bulb for daytime light. A zoo med T5 10% or Arcadia T5 12% for UVB roughly 12-14" away from the tortoise shell. But if you are taking it out for natural sunlight between the hours of roughly 12pm to 4pm the UVB light is not necessary. The redfoot only needs about 15 minutes of good UVB a day. They have the ability to save up the uv rays. Start giving animal Protein once a week. You will start to see some gains in no time. Temperature should be ideally at 84° and humidity above 80%. Give the tortoise 30 min soaks in lukewarm water every day.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Good advice given.
I just wanted to say aquariums are not bad for hatchlings as long as they are a good size aquarium. 10 and 20 gallons are not good sizes for any aged tortoise.
No aquarium is appropriate for anything older than around a year or so.