Is it possible to tell the sex of a 4 month old red foot?

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

Location (City and/or State)
England,
Ok I have a question.
I have a 4 month old adorable baby red foot who I’ve named Pumpkin.
I was told I have a little girl red foot. But from everything I’ve read up and researched is it actually possible to tell at this age? Some say yes others say not till 5 years of age. And if I’m not mistaken how my baby red foot looks she actually looks like a he.
can anyone shed some light on this please. And if possible show me photos of baby Redfoots (Male and female) about Pumpkins age of 4 months.
ill put a pic up in morning. She’s sleeping in her hide. And I don’t want to disturb her. Or him.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It's not possible to sex them till about 3-5 years.

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
I thought so. I just wanted to clarify. I’ve done no end of research. Brought every red foot tortoise book I can. And downloaded and printed care sheets. im a first time owner scared to hell im going to mess up. But I was curious if it was possible to know before 3-5 years.
didn’t think it was. But thank you for confirming. Very much appreciated. Boy or girl I don’t care. As long as Pumpkin is happy and healthy it’s all that matters to me.☺️???

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I thought so. I just wanted to clarify. I’ve done no end of research. Brought every red foot tortoise book I can. And downloaded and printed care sheets. im a first time owner scared to hell im going to mess up. But I was curious if it was possible to know before 3-5 years.
didn’t think it was. But thank you for confirming. Very much appreciated. Boy or girl I don’t care. As long as Pumpkin is happy and healthy it’s all that matters to me.☺???
I'd avoid most books. A lot of them give old outdated info. Stick with what you learn here. Keep your baby about 28-29C and at least 80%+humidity for the first couple years. That and a good varied diet and you shouldn't have any problems.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Ok I have a question.
I have a 4 month old adorable baby red foot who I’ve named Pumpkin.
I was told I have a little girl red foot. But from everything I’ve read up and researched is it actually possible to tell at this age? Some say yes others say not till 5 years of age. And if I’m not mistaken how my baby red foot looks she actually looks like a he.
can anyone shed some light on this please. And if possible show me photos of baby Redfoots (Male and female) about Pumpkins age of 4 months.
ill put a pic up in morning. She’s sleeping in her hide. And I don’t want to disturb her. Or him.
If you are dying to know the sex of your tortoise, you could have it endoscoped by a qualified vet to learn the sex now. Do be advised that this is a surgical procedure best carried out by an experienced exotics vet, and it is not inexpensive. It just depends how badly you want to know the sex whether the cost is worthwhile to you. In the US, it costs an average of from $200 to $400 for a single tortoise.

In many cases, it would be less costly to simply buy an older tortoise whose sex is already known.

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
I'd avoid most books. A lot of them give old outdated info. Stick with what you learn here. Keep your baby about 28-29C and at least 80%+humidity for the first couple years. That and a good varied diet and you shouldn't have any problems.
Yes I am doing. The temp is 29/30C and humidity is 80%
she/he loves her greens. Am I right when I read that they can eat animal protein once a week? Pet shop mentioned That I could give my Pumpkin pinkies (baby mice). Or boiled fresh chicken or boiled egg as a animal protein. I’ve only had Pumpkin for couple days. Been building up for a month and now I have my red foot it hasn’t fully sunk in. I’m always checking to make sure the heat and humidity is correct. I have the T5 12% UVB reflector tube. And a heat bulb that doesn’t give light only the heat as I know Redfoots don’t like to much lighting. I was sat on garden with her today she/he was sitting on my foot and eating dandelions.
I am intrigued to know if pet shop was right in saying Pumpkin is a girl. I can’t understand why they say it if it’s not possible to know for a few years.
as I’ve mentioned tho I don’t care on the sex of the tortoise just as long as pumpkin is happy and healthy and doing what a red foot should be doing then that’s all that matters to me.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Yes I am doing. The temp is 29/30C and humidity is 80%
she/he loves her greens. Am I right when I read that they can eat animal protein once a week? Pet shop mentioned That I could give my Pumpkin pinkies (baby mice). Or boiled fresh chicken or boiled egg as a animal protein. I’ve only had Pumpkin for couple days. Been building up for a month and now I have my red foot it hasn’t fully sunk in. I’m always checking to make sure the heat and humidity is correct. I have the T5 12% UVB reflector tube. And a heat bulb that doesn’t give light only the heat as I know Redfoots don’t like to much lighting. I was sat on garden with her today she/he was sitting on my foot and eating dandelions.
I am intrigued to know if pet shop was right in saying Pumpkin is a girl. I can’t understand why they say it if it’s not possible to know for a few years.
as I’ve mentioned tho I don’t care on the sex of the tortoise just as long as pumpkin is happy and healthy and doing what a red foot should be doing then that’s all that matters to me.
Ya you can feed protein. I do protein about once a week. There's lots of things you can use, eggs, chicken, shrimp, tuna, sardines, etc.

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
If you are dying to know the sex of your tortoise, you could have it endoscoped by a qualified vet to learn the sex now. Do be advised that this is a surgical procedure best carried out by an experienced exotics vet, and it is not inexpensive. It just depends how badly you want to know the sex whether the cost is worthwhile to you. In the US, it costs an average of from $200 to $400 for a single tortoise.

In many cases, it would be less costly to simply buy an older tortoise whose sex is already known.
I wouldn’t want to put Pumpkin through that stress. Boy or girl it doesn’t bother me. As long as Pumpkin is happy and healthy and doing everything a red foot should be doing at 4 months of age then I’m happy. I was just curious if it was possible to know.

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
Ya you can feed protein. I do protein about once a week. There's lots of things you can use, eggs, chicken, shrimp, tuna, sardines, etc.
When you say tuna are you on about fresh tuna of tinned? If tinned then which one as they come in water, brine, oil etc.

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
When you say tuna are you on about fresh tuna of tinned? If tinned then which one as they come in water, brine, oil etc.
I gave her grated egg yesterday. I gave to my dragon too As it was her egg day (once a month for my dragon). I thought I’d give it to pumpkin too never seen something so small eat so fast. Pumpkin went crazy on it.

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
Either is fine. Get the one that's canned with water not oil.
Awesome thank you. I’ll grab some when I’m on my next tort/dragon run lol and try pumpkin on it next protein feed. I’ll put update. I want to widen the feeding options as much as I can. I just spent around £95.99 on different seeds I know are tort safe thanks to the helpful posts on here ?.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I gave her grated egg yesterday. I gave to my dragon too As it was her egg day (once a month for my dragon). I thought I’d give it to pumpkin too never seen something so small eat so fast. Pumpkin went crazy on it.
Are you referring to a bearded dragon? Depending on what your dragon gets for protein, it might be worth checking to see if your redfoot is interested in any of those items, at least for the occasional tidbit for variety.

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
Are you referring to a bearded dragon? Depending on what your dragon gets for protein, it might be worth checking to see if your redfoot is interested in any of those items, at least for the occasional tidbit for variety.
I might have worded it wrong. Sorry for the confusion. I gave my red foot egg yesterday aswell as my dragon. I wasn’t sure if my red foot would eat it but she did. Never seen something so small eat so quick. I’m referring to my tort. Not my dragon. Again sorry for the confusion.

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
My bearded dragon has egg once a month. And as it was her egg day yesterday the tort had some too. That’s what I was trying to say. Sorry again for the confusion.
It’s late and I’m tired so I do apologise. I always forget to put the bearded in front of the dragon.
I keep referring to a red foot tort as a little red red foot. My daughter keeps correcting me ?

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I might have worded it wrong. Sorry for the confusion. I gave my red foot egg yesterday aswell as my dragon. I wasn’t sure if my red foot would eat it but she did. Never seen something so small eat so quick. I’m referring to my tort. Not my dragon. Again sorry for the confusion.
I knew you meant the tort. I was just thinking if you feed your dragon something like superworms, it might be worth seeing if that was something your redfoot might be interested in, too... I know my box turtle and my bearded dragons eat some of the same foods.

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
My bearded dragon don’t have the super worms. She’s an adult. 7 years old. I’ve had her from a young age. But she won’t touch them.
she’s happy with her meal worms locust. And the odd cricket. Watercress. Leafy greens and wax worms aswell as fruit.
I was wondering tho. Can a red foot have meal worms? Or wax worms? Affina not happy about sharing her watercress or leafy greens. ??

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have two yearlings that were "incubated to be female" by a trusted breeder.....
It's still to early to say if he was correct. But I'll certainly post about it, if he was correct.