Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Kenno

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Ground cherries are fun and weird. Their taste is so weird.--Did I mention they're weird!??:D
Her cacti are incredible. I don't see cacti often and her photos reminded me of how incredibly FLORAL they can be.

Yes, all cactus flower. The variety of blooms is astounding!

Prairie Mom

Yes, all cactus flower. The variety of blooms is astounding!
See! I didn't even know that they ALL flower. It makes perfect sense, but I'm afraid these beautiful plants must be a bit "stigma-tized" because the first thing people think about are needles. It's a bit of a wake up call to see flowers blooming that are bigger than adult-sized hands and SO BEAUTIFUL! Until I saw your greenhouse and Yvonne's photos, I had never thought about cacti as making a landscape "lush," but they DO! It's so fun to learn about different things and see what people grow and find beautiful through a new point of view.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I use to think cactus blooms were fake. :rolleyes: Yvonne sent me some starts this year and one had blooms on it. They actually bloomed for me!!! Then a bit later one of the other types grew a bloom. I never thought I would be able to manage that. (ie I have a black thumb and for years have even managed to kill cactus)

Kenno

5 Year Member
Southern California
I use to think cactus blooms were fake. :rolleyes: Yvonne sent me some starts this year and one had blooms on it. They actually bloomed for me!!! Then a bit later one of the other types grew a bloom. I never thought I would be able to manage that. (ie I have a black thumb and for years have even managed to kill cactus)

Actually, the big box stores (Home Despot, Lowe's, etc.) do sell cactus with straw flowers glued on. That'll fool ya!
Most folks kill cactus by overwatering them.

Last edited:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Most folks kill cactus by overwatering them.

Even without watering, I kill them. lol This year, I tried to keep my mind positive that I would get those suckers to grow and the ones Yvonne sent did pretty good. I think I only lost a couple and only one which was the only one of it's type she sent me. I also swear those things are heat seeking missiles, when it comes to nabbing me with their needles (can't recall the correct name for the little ones).

Kenno

5 Year Member
Southern California
Here's a bunch. I'll post as thumbnails.

Attachments

• IMG_0078.JPG
    IMG_0078.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0111.JPG
    IMG_0111.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0285.JPG
    IMG_0285.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0499.JPG
    IMG_0499.JPG
    870.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0574.JPG
    IMG_0574.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0603.JPG
    IMG_0603.JPG
    296.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0522.JPG
    IMG_0522.JPG
    943.5 KB · Views: 17

Prairie Mom

I'm trying to click the "Like" button over and over again.:D

Also, Ken, I'm BEGGING you to please CROWD this thread with HUGE beautiful photos!!!! Thumbnails just don't do those beauties justice. I would never have imagined the varieties of blooms you just posted-SERIOUSLY! That is such a treat to see!

If you ever feel odd putting tons of HUGE pictures, BLAME ME in your post! I TOTALLY WANT THEM!!!! :p

Prairie Mom

(Please forgive me-I have to keep bugging you...)
Also, I know NOTHING about cacti. If you ever have time or inclination to show off your stuff, I would be very interested in seeing photos of your favs (the ones you just posted included) and any information about them. You have some cacti that I never even imagined existed. I can't help but wonder where they originate from and even what was it about their environment and Natural selection that created some of these far out cacti. For example, the first photo almost looks "snow" covered and then has this insanely bright bloom. Really interesting!

Kenno

5 Year Member
Southern California
I'm trying to click the "Like" button over and over again.:D

Also, Ken, I'm BEGGING you to please CROWD this thread with HUGE beautiful photos!!!! Thumbnails just don't do those beauties justice. I would never have imagined the varieties of blooms you just posted-SERIOUSLY! That is such a treat to see!

If you ever feel odd putting tons of HUGE pictures, BLAME ME in your post! I TOTALLY WANT THEM!!!! :p

Let me look into creating a gallery.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Kenno:

I saw a spiral-shaped cactus on Facebook a few weeks ago and I've been trying to find where I can buy it ever since then. It's for sale over seas, but I can't find anyplace in the states. Have you ever seen Cereus forbesii var. spiraliforme ?

Kenno

5 Year Member
Southern California
Kenno:

I saw a spiral-shaped cactus on Facebook a few weeks ago and I've been trying to find where I can buy it ever since then. It's for sale over seas, but I can't find anyplace in the states. Have you ever seen Cereus forbesii var. spiraliforme ?

I've seen those in shows!

I have this Eulychnia:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1416080617.886532.jpg

Prairie Mom

Wow, Jacqui those are beautiful Daylilies! You have really diverse colorful varieties! I love Daylilies and am trying to grow more colors like you have, but most of my bareroot plantings I did never came up (argh to bareroots!). I need to get new ones, because I really want the variety that you have!! So pretty.

Prairie Mom

It's cold outside and snowing, I am missing my months of basically living outside, so decided I needed a reminder of what I am missing...

I know how you feel!!! It's a weird change to be stuck inside now, but maybe I'll finally make my house nice and clean for two seconds before the kids mess it up again...hmmm... I miss the gardening too. -That is a big reason why I started growing seeds inside. Indoor gardening made me feel more like I'm getting ready to go outside and work again:) Plus, the planning is half the fun for me.

These are gorgeous shrubs! That hibiscus is TO DIE FOR. A fun forum member just sent me some Rose of Sharon seeds in the mail. I'm crossing my fingers that they'll turn out half this nice. I always laugh at your black thumb jokes, but these photos are all proof that your thumb AIN'T the exact SHADE yer thinkin' it is:D You do nice work, lady!:D :D :D

Prairie Mom

@Jacqui I also wanted to tell you that I really like your new Avatar picture. I wouldn't mind seeing a bigger one of that also;) (I keep bugging people for photos, I hope I'm not ALWAYS this annoying hee hee) Who's your little sweetie and what's he crawling around on? :)

Prairie Mom

Everyone is freezing and most of the country is covered in snow right now,
so I thought I'd post some wintery garden photos

My September photos
I struggled with a lot of very early snow storms this year. We struggled with some freezing temperatures at the end of August and already had a few snow storms in early September. Here are some photos from this last September. I worked hard to cover and keep a few things growing, but had to just let a lot of the vegetables go for the season.
snow lady.jpg
Notice the kids were able to decorate this "snow lady' with real flowers! (the hair is a fake plant though)

snowy garden.jpg
THIS PHOTO WAS TAKEN IN SEPT: Many flowers and all of my cauliflower and broccoli survived multiple snow storms and freezes without any protection. I picked all my green tomatoes and let most of the plants go, because it was just getting too hard to keep covering everything. Those pots of tomatoes are holding down blankets and a tarp that is protecting one tomato plant that is laying down along with a pumpkin and watermelon vine. -They all survived multiple snow storms under blankets and the tarp. The main reason I protected the vines was because my sweet tortoise liked eating them so much:)

front snow path.jpg
PHOTO TAKEN IN SEPT - this is the walkway to my front door. My hydrangeas froze really early this year, but I was still surprised how many flowers kept going after several snow storms. I guess if their roots can tolerate zone 4, they can tolerate A LOT of wicked weather:)

Last edited:

Kenno

5 Year Member
Southern California
Is it silly to mention how much I like the color of your bench? :)

Thank you! We buy old wooden lawn furniture, picnic benches and tables and we paint them all that color so they match! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1416090851.975465.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1416090894.790525.jpg

Tort alert: Hercules in the second shot at 12 o'clock. The yellow rake handle is almost pointing at him.