Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Kenno

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
800???? Really? How long have you been collecting them? Which one is your favorite?

Maybe 20 - 25 years? Favorites are the really rare ones - Yavia cryptocarpa and Geohintonias. Geek stuff. I enter them in competitive shows, but the cactus community is a friendly one. We share our knowledge and interest, kind of like Tortoiseforum.

Prairie Mom

Maybe 20 - 25 years? Favorites are the really rare ones - Yavia cryptocarpa and Geohintonias. Geek stuff. I enter them in competitive shows, but the cactus community is a friendly one. We share our knowledge and interest, kind of like Tortoiseforum.
Simply AMAZING! I've never seen anything like your green house full of cacti. Even your choices of pots are little pieces of art. I'm thrilled you're showing off your "goodies"(Your torts and cacti)! :D

Prairie Mom

Winter has finally come to stay.
Here' s a little about the tortoise friendly plants that lasted the longest in our cold and snowy yard.

Mavis leaves.jpg
Mavis (our young Sulcata) joined the family just as winter began to arrive. Caring for and feeding a Sulcata has completely changed the way I look at the weather and what is growing in my yard. Each time one of her favorite plants went to sleep for the season, I felt a little sad for our sulcata. Now, I am paying really close attention to which of her favorite plants remained cold hardy the longest.

small red snap.jpg
Snap dragons come in small and larger sizes. They are a favorite among my children who enjoy picking the blossoms and making them "talk" to each other like dragon-faced flower puppets. Now, whenever my children are done playing, they feed the blossoms to our Sulcata who LOVES THEM and readily eats both flowers and leaves.

Here are a few tortoise friendly plants that lasted through the Autumn and Multiple Snow Storms
I'll star "*" the plants that lasted even longer than the others.
Also, we always feed both leaves and flowers to our tort.

-Fescue Grass (We kept it watered and green much longer into the Autumn than we ever have before owning a tortoise)
-Violas (loved by our tort)
-Nasturtiums (Our tort loves the flowers over the leaves, but still eats both.)
-*Clover
-Dandelions
-*Strawberry leaves
-*Crab grass (stays green through most of the winter)
-*Borage (Borago officinalis) Considered an herb, but I don't really use it like one. Mavis occasionally nibbled the leaves and blue star-shaped flowers
-*Common Mallow (loved by our tort)
-*Carrot tops (loved by our tort)
-*Fennel (I think my tortoise preferred Bronze over Green, but only lightly snacked on these. Re-seeds really easily)
-*Holly Hock Alcea (loved by our tort. The leaves last longer than the flower stalks)
-*Snap Dragons (loved by our tort. These re-seed really easily)

holly hock leaves.jpg
Holly Hock (Alcea) leaves. The flowers only last a short time, but the leaves kept coming through the snow. These also re-seed easily.

snow snap.jpg
I can't say enough about how tolerant and wonderful Snap Dragons are! These were a childhood favorite of mine and now have a whole new meaning as they provide a long lasting treat for my tortoise.

Last edited:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Did your children ever use the hollyhock blooms as dolls? I have the worse luck trying to grow nasturtiums. :(

Prairie Mom

Did your children ever use the hollyhock blooms as dolls? I have the worse luck trying to grow nasturtiums. :(
Hollyhock blooms as dolls!??!?! I can't figure out how that would look! They would LOVE that!

I've only grown nasturtiums outside, but I'm going to try to grow them under my grow lights really soon. If I'm successful, I'd be happy to send you some:) I want to send you a goodie package since you gave us one.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My Grandmother showed/told me about the hollyhocks back years ago when I was a youngin'. The petal part of the bloom is the dress, the cap type part is the head/body.

I have gotten them to grow for me only one year (didn't try this year). Then is was just a single (or two?) gangly plants. :( I think I got about four blooms from them.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Well the wintery weather beat me. :( I had to leave for a few hours yesterday and then again today and so loss my needed time. I got some planted this morning, but came home to brrrr. Temps have fallen now to the 30s with 40 mph winds blowing. Tonight windchill is suppose to be in the single digits. (I need to go visit Yvonne and her fireplace tonight me thinks). I rounded up all the last plants, placed them under a layer of five sheets, weighted them down and hope they make it. In a couple of weeks perhaps it will warm enough to try planting them. :rolleyes: What do you think my chances are? :confused:

Prairie Mom

My Grandmother showed/told me about the hollyhocks back years ago when I was a youngin'. The petal part of the bloom is the dress, the cap type part is the head/body.

I have gotten them to grow for me only one year (didn't try this year). Then is was just a single (or two?) gangly plants. :( I think I got about four blooms from them.
I see it now! I love it! I know three little girls who will be so glad Mommy learned about this:)

Prairie Mom

Well the wintery weather beat me. :( I had to leave for a few hours yesterday and then again today and so loss my needed time. I got some planted this morning, but came home to brrrr. Temps have fallen now to the 30s with 40 mph winds blowing. Tonight windchill is suppose to be in the single digits. (I need to go visit Yvonne and her fireplace tonight me thinks). I rounded up all the last plants, placed them under a layer of five sheets, weighted them down and hope they make it. In a couple of weeks perhaps it will warm enough to try planting them. :rolleyes: What do you think my chances are? :confused:
Darn! I don't have as much yard work to do as you, but am also feeling beat by the winter snow. Wednesday we will have a high of SIX, yes, I said SIX DEGREES!!! and a low of -12. I do not feel prepared! I don't expect we'll warm up again. I'm crossing my fingers for your plants!!!

M

Maggie Cummings

We are looking at 30 degrees tonight, which sounds warm compared to everyone else...
Prairie Mom...do ya mind if I asked what state you're in? Everybody else probably knows, but I don't...

Prairie Mom

We are looking at 30 degrees tonight, which sounds warm compared to everyone else...
Prairie Mom...do ya mind if I asked what state you're in? Everybody else probably knows, but I don't...
Hi Maggie,
No, not at all!:D I'll PM you. The only reason why I don't post my location on the forum is because I'm a proud Mom and always showing photos of my kiddos. I don't like the idea of people outside the forum viewing my location online. I send conversations talking about my location all the time and am happy to chat with you too. I'll be in touch shortly :)

Prairie Mom

snow dandelion.jpg
Try not to giggle TOO MUCH as this new tortoise keeper pats herself on the back...
Mavis is brand new to us and I'm really happy that I somehow MIRACULOUSLY had the forethought to dig up some of her favorite weeds and bring them indoors about a month ago. I have several pots that I brought inside, and it has been really nice to have some fresh weeds to give her on the bad weather days. Since then, I've read several posts about seasoned tortoise keepers doing this and I think I'm not doing too shabby for a newbie:)

The stretched-out long "spindly" leaves on this dandelion mean it's not getting enough sunlight.

I'm running behind on setting up my grow lights. This plant has been in a rather shady window and is placed exactly where my cats can't nibble it! sigh...Whattayagonnado?

Prairie Mom

Death by Tomato Plants?
Another point of view on a favorite vegetable-I mean fruit!

I never would have expected feeding a beloved pet to be such a hot topic of conversation, but it certainly is when you're a tortoise keeper. Tomato fruit, leaves, and vines seem to be a pretty debatable topic. The many "heated" discussions around tortoise care and feeding are actually pretty sweet when you think about it...these two people passionately trying to share and convince each other and others what they feel will better the lives of these innocent animals.-Great stuff! Great people!

I have quickly discovered that I have become a believer in MODERATION IN ALL THINGS and in PROVIDING LOTS OF DIFFERENT THINGS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently posted this on another thread and thought I'd share it here as well:

"I'll also risk the rest of the tortoise forum's urge to kick me... but I have NO problem letting my tortoise steal occasional bites from tomato plants... My sulcata has had plenty of nibbles of tomato greens and her health only improves with the more variety I provide for her. I'll bashfully hang my head low and admit that my sulcata has also snagged an entire tomato ( a small roma) and enjoyed it with great relish. I almost never give her fruit and as long as she is maintaining a good diet, I will probably pretend I don't notice if she ever snags another tomato again.:) Do what you feel is best. I just thought I'd offer up another view. "

My sulcata has taken bites of tomato leaves fairly often as she munches the huge variety of plants around our yard.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are a few articles that share my suspicion that tomato plants may not be what we thought they were:

http://www.ehow.com/info_10022310_can-tortoises-eat-tomato-plants.html ---This one says "Yes" to tortoises eating them in moderation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/29/dining/29curi.html?_r=0---This article discusses people and animals eating tomato leaves and that our views on this plant may be misguided.

As always, this is just another point of view. Go with your gut, and do what you feel is best for your beloved pet. Happy Feeding:D

Prairie Mom

A Fun Way to Decorate with Tomato Plants

206.JPG Recently, I was surprised to see the way old family friends were growing their tomato plants. They had them positioned on either side of a bench and were growing along a pretty narrow trellis against the wall. The red and green tomatoes hung like round garden ornaments. I have never seen these garden plants featured in such a pretty way.

I was surprised to learn that if you cut back your tomato growths, only leaving a central vine, that they are capable of growing extremely LONG. They prefer to have them decorate this wall on these beautiful metal trellises, but have also trained tomato plants to grow up garden path archways. -This is something I gotta try!!!

Last edited:
Death by Tomato Plants?
Another point of view on a favorite vegetable-I mean fruit!

I never would have expected feeding a beloved pet to be such a hot topic of conversation, but it certainly is when you're a tortoise keeper. Tomato fruit, leaves, and vines seem to be a pretty debatable topic. The many "heated" discussions around tortoise care and feeding are actually pretty sweet when you think about it...these two people passionately trying to share and convince each other and others what they feel will better the lives of these innocent animals.-Great stuff! Great people!

I have quickly discovered that I have become a believer in MODERATION IN ALL THINGS and in PROVIDING LOTS OF DIFFERENT THINGS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently posted this on another thread and thought I'd share it here as well:

"I'll also risk the rest of the tortoise forum's urge to kick me... but I have NO problem letting my tortoise steal occasional bites from tomato plants... My sulcata has had plenty of nibbles of tomato greens and her health only improves with the more variety I provide for her. I'll bashfully hang my head low and admit that my sulcata has also snagged an entire tomato ( a small roma) and enjoyed it with great relish. I almost never give her fruit and as long as she is maintaining a good diet, I will probably pretend I don't notice if she ever snags another tomato again.:) Do what you feel is best. I just thought I'd offer up another view. "

My sulcata has taken bites of tomato leaves fairly often as she munches the huge variety of plants around our yard.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are a few articles that share my suspicion that tomato plants may not be what we thought they were:

http://www.ehow.com/info_10022310_can-tortoises-eat-tomato-plants.html ---This one says "Yes" to tortoises eating them in moderation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/29/dining/29curi.html?_r=0---This article discusses people and animals eating tomato leaves and that our views on this plant may be misguided.

As always, this is just another point of view. Go with your gut, and do what you feel is best for your beloved pet. Happy Feeding:D
I had no idea people were even worried about this. I've picked tomato leaves and given them to my sully for a while now. I liked the articles. Interesting stuff.

Prairie Mom

I had no idea people were even worried about this. I've picked tomato leaves and given them to my sully for a while now. I liked the articles. Interesting stuff.
Yes, a lot of people believe that tomato leaves are toxic for both humans and animals. The impression that I have is that the person or animal would have to eat boatloads of the stuff (compared to their body size) for it to have ill effect. So the moral of the story would be: don't let your tort go to town and eat a whole tomato plant, but a few bites of leaves now and again aren't going to do anything.

I've looked this up a bit for fun, because I have an interest in edible flowers and leaves and regularly check on how edible the plants I grow are. I've made nearly everything in my backyard edible for human consumption and have used some wacky flowers in my cooking; it's something I enjoy doing. I've found a few blogs where people are claiming that they are cooking with tomato leaves in addition to the article I posted earlier. My amateur understanding is that Green tomatoes and Tomato plants are listed as toxic because they contain small amounts of tomatine (alkaloid related to solanine).

You might find this interesting...
" Research is also conflicting as to how negative tomatine really is. In 2000, Dr. Mendel Friedman of the federal Department of Agriculture and his colleagues issued a report stating that lab animals failed to absorb the majority of ingested tomatine, or that essentially all of it passes through the animal unabsorbed. This is due to the fact that tomatine apparently binds to cholesterol in the digestive system, and the combination is naturally excreted, removing both tomatine and cholesterol. In fact this finding left them with the positive conclusion that tomatine may be beneficial in lowering undesirable levels of LDL cholesterol in animals. Dr. Friedman also noted that a purified extract of green tomato lowered the incidence of cancer in animals. This led to another report touting the benefit of tomatine in inhibiting the growth of various human cancer cells.Tomato plants also contain solanine but like tomatine, the amount is extremely low (5 mg/100g tomato). So like tomatine it would take at the very least, a couple hundred tomatoes for a dog to ingest enough solanine to have a 50% chance of dying." pawsdogdaycare.com/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/tomato-poisonous-pets#sthash.uaIrzYCb.dpuf

I find these discussions to be really interesting. Sorry if it was more than you wanted to read:), but I enjoyed this chat and the other thread where I talked about this briefly with another forum member. I just hope that people won't be so fearful if their tort decides to take a few bites now and again:D

Yes, a lot of people believe that tomato leaves are toxic for both humans and animals. The impression that I have is that the person or animal would have to eat boatloads of the stuff (compared to their body size) for it to have ill effect. So the moral of the story would be: don't let your tort go to town and eat a whole tomato plant, but a few bites of leaves now and again aren't going to do anything.

I've looked this up a bit for fun, because I have an interest in edible flowers and leaves and regularly check on how edible the plants I grow are. I've made nearly everything in my backyard edible for human consumption and have used some wacky flowers in my cooking; it's something I enjoy doing. I've found a few blogs where people are claiming that they are cooking with tomato leaves in addition to the article I posted earlier.

That is really interesting. I guess I'm already on board because I just haven't had any problems with tomato leaves. I'd be interested in looking at the gardening blogs you mentioned where people are cooking with them.