Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Photo of my weeping cherry tree -- it's in bloom now. :) Figured I needed something garden-related to share. For anyone who hasn't seen it:

tree-jpg.171548

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Gosh that's pretty. My daughter has one but it's still in the 5 gallon stage.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I hate the wind! It makes me want to stay in the house. It's been pretty windy here the last few days, and I haven't accomplished much outside. But it's only a bit breezy today, so maybe I can get out there and do some clean-up. The iris are finished blooming, and I cut them back about 6" from the ground and til the soil around the bulbs with a gardening fork. I also have three sucker branches coming up in the middle of my Cecile Bruenner climbing rose. The Cecile is a light pink and the suckers bloom dark red. I'd like to crawl under there and trim off those suckers, if I can figure out which ones they are at that vantage point. Then if I still have ambition, I'll cut up the mulberry branches that are in the tortoise yards on the ground. We trimmed the mulberry tree this past week-end and gave the trimmings to the tortoises. Since I no longer have garbage service, I have to make sure my green waste is small enough to decompose in the green waste pile. I hate to put sticks and branches in there, but what else can I do with them. Can't burn 'em without a permit and I don't have that.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I hate the wind! It makes me want to stay in the house. It's been pretty windy here the last few days, and I haven't accomplished much outside. But it's only a bit breezy today, so maybe I can get out there and do some clean-up. The iris are finished blooming, and I cut them back about 6" from the ground and til the soil around the bulbs with a gardening fork. I also have three sucker branches coming up in the middle of my Cecile Bruenner climbing rose. The Cecile is a light pink and the suckers bloom dark red. I'd like to crawl under there and trim off those suckers, if I can figure out which ones they are at that vantage point. Then if I still have ambition, I'll cut up the mulberry branches that are in the tortoise yards on the ground. We trimmed the mulberry tree this past week-end and gave the trimmings to the tortoises. Since I no longer have garbage service, I have to make sure my green waste is small enough to decompose in the green waste pile. I hate to put sticks and branches in there, but what else can I do with them. Can't burn 'em without a permit and I don't have that.
Do you have one of those garden shredders? The one that you can shred brush and leaves in? It's been a dream of mine to get one of those, that and double composting tumbler... Ahhhh! Dreams!!!!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I know how you feel! :( It's just warm enough today to get the tortie outside to eat something fresh but there's a bit of a breeze too. Good thing there's a good amount of sunshine out there or I'd go crazy. Do you ever think your tortoise gets sick of listening to you? ;) I plan on spending the evening doing some relaxing origami... :tort:
Do you have one of those garden shredders? The one that you can shred brush and leaves in? It's been a dream of mine to get one of those, that and double composting tumbler... Ahhhh! Dreams!!!!
Oooooo ahhh... I would enjoy this as well! We're allowed to burn fires in our yard, so we already have a lot of wood piling up for it!

If this is the monkey flower (top) and aster (below) coming back, they're going to be nuts this season!

monkeyflower.jpg

Here's a native Michigan rose species (with the thorn barricades around it) coming back really well. The leaves look great so far. I'm hoping it blooms in this second year, which hubby said a lot of the native plants do? I think it'll be beautiful!

rose.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I used to have a small electric one, but tried to put too large a twig through it and broke it. Maybe I'll save my $$ and think about buying one again. Problem solved!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know how you feel! :( It's just warm enough today to get the tortie outside to eat something fresh but there's a bit of a breeze too. Good thing there's a good amount of sunshine out there or I'd go crazy. Do you ever think your tortoise gets sick of listening to you? ;) I plan on spending the evening doing some relaxing origami... :tort:

Oooooo ahhh... I would enjoy this as well! We're allowed to burn fires in our yard, so we already have a lot of wood piling up for it!

If this is the monkey flower (top) and aster (below) coming back, they're going to be nuts this season!

View attachment 171726

Here's a native Michigan rose species (with the thorn barricades around it) coming back really well. The leaves look great so far. I'm hoping it blooms in this second year, which hubby said a lot of the native plants do? I think it'll be beautiful!

View attachment 171727

Lookin good!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I used to have a small electric one, but tried to put too large a twig through it and broke it. Maybe I'll save my $$ and think about buying one again. Problem solved!
Sounds like a lot of fun! ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

So I ordered a little electric shredder/chipper off Amazon after I read your post. That was last Wednesday, two days ago, and it arrived today! Only trouble is, the little plastic envelope that contained all the misc. parts was open, the box had holes it in, and I'm missing half the nuts and bolts. I just got off the phone with Amazon and they can't just send me the parts, I have to get a whole new item and when it arrives, package up the old one and send it back. It won't get here until next Wednesday.

But overall, I just LOVE Amazon. I'm a dyed in the wool Amazon shopper. This is a little inconvenient, but nothing earth shattering!

In the meantime, I have a pile of branches, twigs and brush right outside my door until next Wednesday!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
So I ordered a little electric shredder/chipper off Amazon after I read your post. That was last Wednesday, two days ago, and it arrived today! Only trouble is, the little plastic envelope that contained all the misc. parts was open, the box had holes it in, and I'm missing half the nuts and bolts. I just got off the phone with Amazon and they can't just send me the parts, I have to get a whole new item and when it arrives, package up the old one and send it back. It won't get here until next Wednesday.

But overall, I just LOVE Amazon. I'm a dyed in the wool Amazon shopper. This is a little inconvenient, but nothing earth shattering!

In the meantime, I have a pile of branches, twigs and brush right outside my door until next Wednesday!
Aww, I can't believe that happened to your order! :( Sorry to hear about that.

Pearly

5 Year Member

Good for you! I wish I could get one but... No "de monè"

Pearly

5 Year Member
I went to garden center today and they had mulberry trees!!! In 5 gal (I think...) pots! But.... 27$.... Didn't get one:( got 6 kinds of geranium though and gorgeous variegated sweet marjoram. All in 4 inch pots, perfect size for my digging ability and pocketbook. Got just few plants (the above, plus lemon grass and few gazania for babies' outdoor enclosure. I'm trying to collect as many herbaceous anti mosquito plants as possible to keep those babies from getting bitten.
I wanted to ask you Yvonne about those mulberry trees, do they grow fast and big? I will eventually get one just trying to place it in appropriate place in my garden.
They also had tiny eucalyptus which would grow into a tree. I'm tempted to get it for one very sunny and dry spot of my garden. Thought either that or olive tree. Do you guys have any experience with those?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I hear you! I'm still getting snow back and forth in my forecasts.
I say y'all both move! Heckfire, bring the youngins and men folks as well. Some places here in Oregon are very well priced, less country more city places are not. But freeways are easy for transportation and that's all one really needs for working, right?