Galap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiated

5 Year Member
This Chinese owner apparently has a Galap. It looks amazing idk if it is one tho. But still amazing carapace and just beautiful.

Attachments

• 215047th8lhzg7tgra22rs.jpg
    215047th8lhzg7tgra22rs.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 405
  • 21504419q02dsds4s03qq9.jpg
    21504419q02dsds4s03qq9.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 377
  • 215033azjoir4yvkb0w0g8.jpg
    215033azjoir4yvkb0w0g8.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 422

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
You are correct in wondering. Its an aldabra. Galapagos have a much broader head than that of an aldabra. Nice tort though. The yniphoria is stunning as well.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
It's nice seeing the yniphora and the Aldabra side-by-side like that. They are both Indian Ocean tortoises, and although the Aldabra is about tied with the Galap as the two biggest extant tortoises (both around 600 lbs), the Aldabra is like a giant yniphora, while the Galap is like a giant Chaco.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Look again Kelly. The head shape and somewhat pointy nose DOES suggest Aldabra, but no nuchal scute.

Has to be one of the Galop ssp.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Tom said:
Look again Kelly. The head shape and somewhat pointy nose DOES suggest Aldabra, but no nuchal scute.

Has to be one of the Galop ssp.

No, it's an Aldabra. See that pointy nose, with a short distance between the beak and nostrils? That's an Aldabra feature. Galapagos tortoises have broader-looking head, with higher nostrils, and a greater distance to the beak.

Aldabras have a face more like that of their cousins, the radiated and ploughshare tortoises. Galapagos have a face more like that of other South American Chelonoidis tortoises (Chacos, redfoots, and yellofoots).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with the face shape observations, but there is NO nuchial scute which is one of the identifying features of an Aldabra. It can't be an Aldabra without a nuchial scute.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Fascinating. I stand corrected. Thank you for the link jaizei. So this Chinese collector has a very special Aldabra.

Hey Radiated, is he claiming it is a Galap?

Weldd

10 Year Member!
Beautiful growth on that Aldabra. Really perfect.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Aldabras can sometimes have a lack of nuchal scute. its a small percentage that lack that scute. But it is one of the 3 Aldabra species, Given the brownish color it shows it looks to be Dipsochelys dussumieri from the island of Mauritius. Dont quote me on it though. But its definitely an Aldabra. In the species of the galapagos I havent seen any of them have such a high doming capability as shown in this species photo. The chelonoidis elephantopus and porteri from the Floreana and Santa Cruz island is the typical highly domed species of Galapagos that can look alot like the Aldabra, but not domed as shown in this species. The other sub species have flattened and flared carapace structures.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Tom said:
I agree with the face shape observations, but there is NO nuchial scute which is one of the identifying features of an Aldabra. It can't be an Aldabra without a nuchial scute.

Nuchal scutes are variable, so although they are indicative of a certain species, they are not really diagnostic. Some tortoises that usually have them lack them, and vice versa. They may also vary in size. On the other hand, facial structure, for example, is a much more stable and reliable character to go by.

BTW - I think that Aldabra actually has a nuchal scute, but it is just small and stubby, so it is hard to see. Both tortoises are very handsome, though. :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Weldd said:
Beautiful growth on that Aldabra. Really perfect.

Agreed. Beautiful yniphoria too. Just a stunning animal. Would love to see it in a nicer enclosure though.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
That obvious Aldabra tortoise and the yniphora both look great. Cannot quite tell about the sulcata, but it looks pretty decent from the fraction I can see. All three animals look well cared for and that Aldabra looks especially well raised.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Baoh said:
That obvious Aldabra tortoise and the yniphora both look great. Cannot quite tell about the sulcata, but it looks pretty decent from the fraction I can see. All three animals look well cared for and that Aldabra looks especially well raised.

Sulcata? Are you in quandary of the first photo in regards to a possible sulcata being portrayed in the first photo, immediate left of the aldabra? I am curious.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ah ha! I got one better over Tom.

Some Aldabs have a nuchal scute and some don't...I happen to have one of each. If you put an aldab face looking in a straight line right next to a galap face you will see that the level line through the eyes shows the aldab's nares to be below the eye line, while the galap's level line is right in line with the nares.

But who cares about the aldab. What a beautiful yniphora!!!!!

Baoh: Are you saying the tan tortoise in the first picture isn't the yniphora?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
emysemys said:
Baoh: Are you saying the tan tortoise in the first picture isn't the yniphora?

Correct. It is a sulcata.

Photo one shows a sulcata and an Aldabra. Photo two shows the sulcata and the Aldabra. Photo three shows the Aldabra and the ploughshare.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
emysemys said:
Some Aldabs have a nuchal scute and some don't...I happen to have one of each. If you put an aldab face looking in a straight line right next to a galap face you will see that the level line through the eyes shows the aldab's nares to be below the eye line, while the galap's level line is right in line with the nares.

I think you illustrated it nicely here.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Baoh is correct...That first pic is undoubtedly a sulcata. I cringe to see a tortoise as rare as a yniphora in housing like that though...All of the tortoises look wonderfully cared for, however, I just don't like seeing them inside. Maybe its only temporary indoor accommodations? I hope....

Radiated

5 Year Member
Wow so many comments. Um, there is only one pic with a Yniphora. This is only when they are getting outdoor enclosure cleaned up i think so yeah. I really think the Aldabra has one of the most smooth shells ive seen. And the Yniphora ia really nice too.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Yes, they all look to be incredibly well cared for. That yniphora is just.....Unspeakably marvelous, to put it in dull terms :). I just don't like seeing torts like that in indoor enclosures....

Status
Not open for further replies.