Question about Galap certificates

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello! I was just curious...I live in Az and saw someone post an ad for a Galap here and stated they would only sell to in state people due to cert and have often seen this in Ca. Why do they have certs (endangered??)? Also, what does the cert state on it?

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
you only need a USWFS endangered species CITES II permit if you are going to transport the galap or radiated tortoise outside of the state in which you bought it or live in.

i live in cali, and i bought lil ft in cali, and i do not have a permit, so she must remain in cali.

both the buyer and seller must have the permit. they cost $300, and must be renewed every couple years.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
spike AKA cory, do you mind if I ask how much you paid for littlefoot? if you don't want to say it's cool, I was just curious.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
sorry that information is protected by the tortoise-person confidentality agreement both lil ft and I signed when I got her. she is very modest and doesnt want humans to know.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Actually it's a CBW (Captive Born Wildlife) permit that you get Cory. :)
CITES only comes into affect if you are shipping out of the country, not between states.

Danny

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thanks for all the feedback. That's interesting to know. So that's only on the Galaps and Radiated? I didn't know the Radiated required that too.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Any animal on our Endangered Species List needs a permit to cross state lines. Galapagos and Radiated tortoises are on our Endangered Species List. There are a few more tortoises on the list.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.