Future for the Shell?

Smazril

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Oregon
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hi all,
Terry Tortilla (that's her official name!) came to me with pyramids and a saddleback. I have been able to see the progression others have made with the pyramids and learned how long it can take, if ever, for them to smooth.
What about the dip in her back? As she grows will it become less noticeable or will it always stay proportional? It doesn't matter to me aesthetically, I'm just curious what long term changes we might see.
I included a dv radiograph just for kicks. I will be taking a lateral this week. I'm a vet tech so I get to do fun things like that when needed/wanted!
And a side note since I'm posting a few pictures.. Does Terry's beak look okay? I don't know abnormal from normal.

Thanks!
Sarah and Terry Tortilla

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, she really had a bad start, poor thing. The beak looks fine to me. I couldn't tell you about the shell. By how bad it is, I don't think it will get better, but like I said, I don't know, just a guess. @Yvonne G rehabs a lot of torts, she may know.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw...Poor little Tortilla! She'll always look like she does, however, she can live a long life with good care. One of our members - @Laura - adopted a sulcata with a similar back problem. Maybe we can get her to post a 'first' picture and a 'now' picture of hers.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Poor thing. Glad you've got her now!

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Smazril

5 Year Member
Central Oregon
Aw...Poor little Tortilla! She'll always look like she does, however, she can live a long life with good care. One of our members - @Laura - adopted a sulcata with a similar back problem. Maybe we can get her to post a 'first' picture and a 'now' picture of hers.

That's good to know! I have been doing so much research and starting to find scary stories with similar cases. Nice to hear it can all turn out okay. In our week of having her I already see attitude/energy boosts!

Katherine

5 Year Member
Heartbreaking. They are resilient creatures, I'm glad you have her and am confident she will be able to thrive despite these setbacks.