Shell in the Way?

Smazril

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Oregon
Terry Tortilla has been doing very well since moving in with us. She grazes all day when sunny (but still expects an evening snack inside), sprawls out in the sun, she is now strong enough to stand before walking (instead of dragging back legs), and she's gained 60 grams.

She always eats well. As I've watched her eat I've noticed it seems like her shell below her neck gets in the way? When I feed her in her night/winter enclosure I feed her on a square paver stone. She eats with ease until the pile of weeds gets lower. Then it seems like she hits the lower shell with her neck. She compensates by walking across the food dragging it around and then eats it. I just wonder if she needs me to make a better feeding spot? The paver top is level with her substrate.

Thank you!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have wondered this about my tortoise also. I have toyed with the idea of feeding her on a flat rock that is maybe an inch or so higher than the substrate.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
When I had tortoises indoors, I fed them by holding all the greens pinched together in chip clips. I'd either bury the clip to make a "bush" or attach it to something so it was easier for them to graze from.
Or, I piled the greens on multi leveled rocks, big uneven rocks etc.
Try some of those tricks and see if you like the results

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
When I had tortoises indoors, I fed them by holding all the greens pinched together in chip clips. I'd either bury the clip to make a "bush" or attach it to something so it was easier for them to graze from.
Or, I piled the greens on multi leveled rocks, big uneven rocks etc.
Try some of those tricks and see if you like the results
Great ideas, thanks. I have hung the plants down from a clip but didn't think about burying it and making a bush. I did think about piling up some rocks. Well I guess it's back to tinkering with the enclosure again :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Depending on the size, strength of the tort and depth of your substrate:
Hot glue one side of the handle part to a heavy rock.. then you can make your bush and bury the rock/handle...a stronger tort can't pull it out of the ground that way.. ;) trust me, I know LOL

Smazril

5 Year Member
Central Oregon
Those are some great ideas Gomberg, thanks.
I'm not so worried while she can graze, but as winter comes in I don't want eating to be difficult or frustrating for her. It'd be awful if one of the highlights of your life was a frustration!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Depending on the size, strength of the tort and depth of your substrate:
Hot glue one side of the handle part to a heavy rock.. then you can make your bush and bury the rock/handle...a stronger tort can't pull it out of the ground that way.. ;) trust me, I know LOL
My Russian tortoise might make quick work of that I don't know. I may try it.I like to try to make things interesting for her instead of just plop in a pile of food down in one spot all the time.