Funny Habits RES Turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

flippynipps

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! Hope everyone's been ok....

A quick update for those who have read my last thread and now this one... Biggie and Little Houdini have finally stopped the fighting and biting matches. Yeah every now and then I'll catch them staring each other down, and sometimes the claw fluttering happens but they have not tangled it up with each other anymore! Of course I am very happy about this..

But I'm starting to notice a habit I hadn't noticed before... I've noticed that each have taken to sniffing the other out! It's such a funny thing.. to watch, either Biggie or Little Houdini will pop out of nowhere and slide his face under the others shell and sniffs him or they'll come around the backside and sniff, can't tell if it's the other's tail their sniffing or what but it's so strange!!

Does anyone out there have any idea why they're doing this? Is this something custom for turtles? As far as I knew dogs sniffed out a potential friend.. would a turtle act the same way? If anything more is needed in regards to my guys they are RES Turtles, Biggie is 4" and Little Houdini is 3 1/2"... Thanks for any advise! or Idea's we appreciate it!!!

flippynipps

5 Year Member
wellington said:
A video would be cool, or at least a pic:D

I will definitely try and get them on video or picture, right now they are sleeping.. so I'll watch them tomorrow and try catching them at this crazy little habit they're getting into, lol...

srod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans
I was reading your other threads, do you still have them in a 10gal tank? That's wayyyyy too small. Hope you are able to upgrade soon. Because of their size I would recommend AT LEAST t a 55gal tank. Keep watching them for aggressive behaviour. If it starts up again they should be separated, cause constant fighting over territory or food or for no reason at all can lead to injury or even death. =( Also keep in mind that turtles are lone creatures. They don't make "friends". Some are able to live peacefully in communities while others cannot.

flippynipps

5 Year Member
Unfortunately I can't get them their new tank until after I move into a bigger place, at the moment I don't have room to get them their long tank like I really do want. They do from what I've noticed get along or at least it's the impression I get from them they are always following each other in the tank and love to sleep on top of each other.. lol that's so cute. I stopped feeding them together I noticed this made them become aggressive towards the other and have fought because of it. I'm still iffy about their sex.. and sometimes wonder if this is part reason for their behavior towards the other when they are fluttering claws and dancing around each other. I will keep watch over them and I'm still trying to get a clear good picture of them while their sniffing each other.. I still find that to be so strange!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.