Fungus in Bedding?

CDTNoob

Location (City and/or State)
Anaheim
So I have three young tortoises and I am keeping my humidity high for them. I am mixing their bedding often but I am still noticing a slight white fungus growing in the bedding. How do I keep it from growing and ruining all the bedding? I am using 50/50 topsoil/coconut coir for their bedding. I have heard that high humidity is best for young torts to keep them from pyramiding and growing properly.
In order to combat the fungus I have only been keeping the humidity high in their hides and about halfway across the enclosure so that at least some of the bedding will completely dry out. I am still seeing the fungus pop up on the humid side though.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Coir, depending on the quality, may have a high mineral content...mineral salts will dry and have a white dust appearance (they are generally of no consequence). The white sediment will dissolve away quickly when re-wetted.

Fuzzy mold growth may indeed be due to something in the topsoil, being one reason that topsoil is not recommended for most enclosed animal habitats.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
To avoid that fungus looking stuff, I keep a stick handy and I simple stir up the substrate some...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I have three young tortoises and I am keeping my humidity high for them. I am mixing their bedding often but I am still noticing a slight white fungus growing in the bedding. How do I keep it from growing and ruining all the bedding? I am using 50/50 topsoil/coconut coir for their bedding. I have heard that high humidity is best for young torts to keep them from pyramiding and growing properly.
In order to combat the fungus I have only been keeping the humidity high in their hides and about halfway across the enclosure so that at least some of the bedding will completely dry out. I am still seeing the fungus pop up on the humid side though.
Soil should never be used as tortoise substrate. There is no way to know what composted yard waste it is made of. The people who make it don't intend for small animals to live on it. Most of what it is made with will mold and rot.

This is why we recommend coco coir, orchid bark, or cypress mulch. Each of these are resistant to mold, fungus and bacterial growth.