Frustrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

expo tort

5 Year Member
I'm so very mad. I'm going through old websites that I used to use as models of how to take care of a tort and they are all riddled with bad information like all uv lights are useless, no matter what size the enclosure it's extremely cruel to keep a tortoise in one that's not outside in open air ( which your tort could be attacked in), and that no one should buy a tort and that they should only be adopted( even though I've only ever seen CTDs, which you need special qualifications for, and sulcatas which, become absolutely gigantic.). Ok rant over for now. So two questions. Has anyone else discovered this too. Also does anyone agree with what I have just said.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I only read info from this forum. Because of a lot of bad info out there, along with bad info from the breeder, I have a leopard that has pyramiding, being corrected only because of the help from Tom and others on TFO. I feel you live once, get the tort you want as long as you can afford to take care of it. They should be outside when possible. There is enough UVB lighting available to be useful for in-between warm and cold seasons and there would be a lot of homeless or killed sulcatas if people that didn't live in the warmer climates didn't have them too. Everyone's opinions will vary. So listen to the ones you want and don't listen to the ones that upset you, life is to short.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I for one believe UV bulbs are useless......Everything I raise indoors gets raised under standard Incandescent bulbs........( Well the animals that need bulbs in the bulbs in the first place ).........

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
EricIvins said:
I for one believe UV bulbs are useless......Everything I raise indoors gets raised under standard Incandescent bulbs........( Well the animals that need bulbs in the bulbs in the first place ).........

Do they get a lot of outside time? Because, I know there are other members on here that do not use UVB either. However, they get their torts outside a lot. So don't use UVB in the winter/colder months. I personally think if you do not use them, you Should explain the way you raise them. It can be confusing to people reading your post and then think their tort doesn't need uvb at all. This is how some stuff gets misinterpreted on the Internet. Unfortunately, some keepers don't or can't get their torts outside much at all. I think those people would not benefit from your statement, without more explanation. Then again, how much outside time is enough to not give them any UVB during the cold times? I say play it safe and use it whenever they are inside, it can't hurt, but it can hurt if they don't get enough.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Each of us is responsible for reading and listening to advice with a critical or skeptical mind. Only you can know what your exact situation is and how each bit of advice fits into it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Do they get a lot of outside time? Because, I know there are other members on here that do not use UVB either. However, they get their torts outside a lot. So don't use UVB in the winter/colder months. I personally think if you do not use them, you Should explain the way you raise them. It can be confusing to people reading your post and then think their tort doesn't need uvb at all.

I totally understand these thoughts....I am one of the folks that can have the youngin torts out in the natural sun no less than 4 days a week for no less than an hour (most times longer)...and I do not use any UVB lights for the torts indoors....now, for the RESs here I do use UVB for at least 12 hours a day (one day I will have both time and money at the same time and will set up an outdoor warm months pond :D) but until such time they get out for about 4 hours of natural sun once a week in addition to their fake UVB...:D

During the winter the CDTs here are brumating so no UVB for that time--but they have stored up soooo much during the others months it works out fine....now, I will have to decide, based on the winter temps and such, this next winter if and what kind of UVB I will provide for the RFs...

So, yes it absolutely does make a difference where you live, what species you have and some other weather factors....

Ah yes, now in an ideal world...all torts young and old would be outdoors all year round and never have a threat of freezing or flooding or being eaten ....but alas, I have not yet found that perfect ideal world... :D

expo tort

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Ah yes, now in an ideal world...all torts young and old would be outdoors all year round and never have a threat of freezing or flooding or being eaten ....but alas, I have not yet found that perfect ideal world... :D

If what your describing is an absolutely perfect world so cal is quite close to perfect.(no freeze, no flood in most places, but alas we have predators)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
no freeze, no flood in most places, but alas we have predators

Yes I agree, most times this is correct...as close as we can get right? Although here in the high desert we can get 10 degree nights and flash flooding which in a matter of an hour we can have massive sudden waterways...and ditto with the predators for sure here as well....

:D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
EricIvins said:

Have you ever had your tort's blood tested for vitamin D and calcium levels?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I agree, Angela, absolutely matters where you live.
I have found a lot of good information on this site, but have also had to refert to information on the UK sites for advice relative to my weather.

And expo tort, I understand your frustrations. There is a lot of different information, even sometimes on one thread on this site.
But it does help to really focus on people who keep your species of tortoise, in your general area of the world. Also, where you get your tort, whether from a reputable breeder or to adopt an unwanted tortoise, is completely up to you. Sometimes, eventually, you can do both.

expo tort

5 Year Member
So many philosophical people on here. I'm a twelve year old who has an IQ of 128, which is little above average,( yes I am saying that I'm smarter than average :D) and I know most adults have an IQ of 160 or something but you people sound like you have an IQ of like 200. And yeah yeah yeah with age comes wisdom and what I'm calling smart seems like common sense to you adults but guess what I'm not an adult. You people have years and years of experience. I don't. Ok done

I have realized I just called a lot of you old. Sorry :p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
And yeah yeah yeah with age comes wisdom and what I'm calling smart seems like common sense to you adults

Age does not always bring wisdom....and common sense is something you are either born with or not, not based on age....so you are doing fine....

:D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
expo tort said:
So many philosophical people on here. I'm a twelve year old who has an IQ of 128, which is little above average,( yes I am saying that I'm smarter than average :D) and I know most adults have an IQ of 160 or something but you people sound like you have an IQ of like 200. And yeah yeah yeah with age comes wisdom and what I'm calling smart seems like common sense to you adults but guess what I'm not an adult. You people have years and years of experience. I don't. Ok done

That's OK, chances are, most of us are!

ThatDamnSasquatch

5 Year Member
I find this with many topics on many sites. The main reason I joined this forum is that after vetting many of my questions through research across multiple sites, is seemed to be the only ne where I felt correct opinions/answers were present.

A lot of the personal blogs and websites have the "I've raised hundreds this way and it's the right way" motto, but some of their practices just seemed "off" to my gut instincts on what my torts would actually want/need. Therefore, I went to a public forum and here I have been satisfied with a lot of the experienced advise and feedback.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
expo tort said:

I, for one, do not mind being old or being called old. It took me a lot of time and effort to live so long.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Edna said:
expo tort said:

I, for one, do not mind being old or being called old. It took me a lot of time and effort to live so long.

I agree! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.