Fruit soak

Joey Arnetti

Location (City and/or State)
Hebburn, Tyne and Wear
Hi I have a russian herman tortoise, I've heard of fruit soaks and just need a better understanding as to what is a fruit soak and what does it entail. Thank yous, Joey

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
If I understand what you're referring to, it's a soak that some people do for severely dehydrated tortoises.

They're done using a 50:50 mix of warm water and babyfood... mostly I've heard of people using carrot babyfood, but I used one with carrots, banana, mango, and sweet potato to great effect with a hingeback in rough shape.

I aim for a soak temperature of about 85 degrees, and found that the easiest way to hold that temp for longer soaks is to put the soaking vessel in the tortoise's enclosure. Using this method, and at the suggestion of some experienced keepers I was working with, I did soaks for the hingeback in question for as long as 8 hours at a time.

The soak should come up to just over their plastron when standing, so that they have no trouble keeping their nose above the water, certainly not having to swim (or even stretch) to keep breathing easily.

I'm a big believer in the efficacy of babyfood soaks in the case of extremely dehydrated tortoises, but feel that with most torts, just soaking in warm water is adequate.

Jamie

Joey Arnetti

Hebburn, Tyne and Wear
If I understand what you're referring to, it's a soak that some people do for severely dehydrated tortoises.

They're done using a 50:50 mix of warm water and babyfood... mostly I've heard of people using carrot babyfood, but I used one with carrots, banana, mango, and sweet potato to great effect with a hingeback in rough shape.

I aim for a soak temperature of about 85 degrees, and found that the easiest way to hold that temp for longer soaks is to put the soaking vessel in the tortoise's enclosure. Using this method, and at the suggestion of some experienced keepers I was working with, I did soaks for the hingeback in question for as long as 8 hours at a time.

The soak should come up to just over their plastron when standing, so that they have no trouble keeping their nose above the water, certainly not having to swim (or even stretch) to keep breathing easily.

I'm a big believer in the efficacy of babyfood soaks in the case of extremely dehydrated tortoises, but feel that with most torts, just soaking in warm water is adequate.

Jamie
Thank u so much, I've had to buy a bigger half log, actually it was my cousin who found one online. Can u probably give me some idea as to what I can do once his enclosure get to small, my other cousin has a Russian tort too but hes about 10 inches long, and it loves nothing better than to sit on the hearth n go to sleep. Any advice would be really helpful

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It sounds like you need a lot of help, Joey. First of all, we need to see pictures of your tortoise so we know what species you have. . . a russian, OR a hermanns. They are two separate species, neither of which should have fruit.

Secondly, I have never heard of 'fruit soaks.' But get that idea right out of your head as neither Russian tortoises nor Hermanns tortoises should be given fruit.

Why are you wanting to do specialty soaks? All a healthy tortoise needs in the soaking department is a nice soak in clean, warm water.

The carrot soak referred to above is ONLY for baby tortoises that aren't eating.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I totally agree with everything Yvonne just said.

Here is the care info for those two different species:

Joey Arnetti

Hebburn, Tyne and Wear
It sounds like you need a lot of help, Joey. First of all, we need to see pictures of your tortoise so we know what species you have. . . a russian, OR a hermanns. They are two separate species, neither of which should have fruit.

Secondly, I have never heard of 'fruit soaks.' But get that idea right out of your head as neither Russian tortoises nor Hermanns tortoises should be given fruit.

Why are you wanting to do specialty soaks? All a healthy tortoise needs in the soaking department is a nice soak in clean, warm water.

The carrot soak referred to above is ONLY for baby tortoises that aren't eating.
Hi there, I'd heard of a fruit soak on this forum and just wondered if he needed one, but thanks for letting me know. How do I send a photo of him on here, as I was going by the pet store who said Russian herman so I thought that they were the full title

Joey Arnetti

Hebburn, Tyne and Wear
I worked it out Yvonne this is likkle Jack. His encloser is 44 inches by 24 inches, I went into my living room yesterday and was greeted by likkle Jack. He had been scratching and trying to get out of his enclosure for quite a while. I let him out for a wander every day but just for around 45 mins. And I was sure that I'd put him back in, in fact I knew I had. I put a cushion round both sides and my spare pillows around the front, then waited and took a video of him. And saw exactly how he does it. Whilst he was only 2 inches long I'd had him on a kitchen table, but when he started his climbing I put his enclosure back on the floor, as if he'd got out he would of died from that hight . Whilst I was doing something on my phone I heard him scratching the side of his enclosure, I waited and watched, and was amazed at him actually doing it. I can share the video to u if you want to see it. That's why I had asked about if he got to big for his enclosure.
I did have one idea and that is to take the front of his enclosure off and saw a part of the wall about 12 inches long by 4 inches deep and put two small hinges on it so that it acts like a draw bridge effect, so I'm not worrying about him falling and then he can come and go as he pleases. Any useful tips and information about his breed and if u think the draw bridge is a good idea will be very useful. I've had him for over 2 years now. Than u . Joey

20200328_050707.jpg

Joey Arnetti

Hebburn, Tyne and Wear
Hi u said hes fully grown, he started having breathing problems, so saw a vet, and hes got a chest infection. I have to give him an injection every 3 days, for 3 weeks. I mentioned about him possibly being full grown, he said that hes only 4 years old, which is evident from the Mark's around the top part of his shell and is 6 n a half inches, but can grow to 9 or 10 inches long. I had told the vet that there was something on the forum that mentioned piramiding. He said to me that the two bottom rings had shown signs that he was not getting enough calcium on his greens, and that the next two are solid lines, so he said that I've done a great job with likkle Jack. I mentioned about his enclosure not being big enough, and told him that u had said 8ft by 4ft. I said I live in a bungalow coz I'm disabled, n joked on with him and said I'll just make my bedroom into a bed sit.
My friend mick is a carpenter by trade who has measured up and he said that he can make an enclosure for me, only its gonna be 7ft by 4 ft. I bought the cushion floor to line it with, and its gonna take up a third of my living room. I said that's ok I just want what's best for him, he said that his shell is in perfect order and nice and hard. So I must be doing something right. He said he didnt need to listen to his chest, he could hear it without them. I've got asthma so when I heard the most quietest wheeze I knew he was I'll and had him to the vets straight away. Up to now I've spent £10 on his cusion floor, £32 on 40 litres of his soil, and the wood to make his enclosure, all totaling at about £100. But that's a small price to pay and he is gonna be happy, n that's what matters. Joey

Joey Arnetti

Hebburn, Tyne and Wear
Oh and do u remember saying what type of tortoise he is. I said that the lass who had him had said he was a Russian Hermann, and u said that those two were completely separate torts. Hes a Hermann the vet confirmed u were right to point that out. And that the keyhole mark on his shell, confirms it. So thank you for all the help.
Mind that care sheet was one hell of a long thing to read. But very informative. I'll come back on here in a few days time with photos of his enclosure.

Joey Arnetti

Hebburn, Tyne and Wear
My tv is going on the wall n my neighbor's getting my coffee table, so theres enough room for Jack's enclosure. He is so funny and has all out fights with my slippers when I let him out his enclosure. Dont know why, but he seems to be having fun. He follows me around the house, but I close the door to the bathroom n bedroom, me n Jack's about the same speed as each other n that's slow n stop, he walked up the ramp to my front door, I have for getting my wheelchair out n in the house. I said to him that hes too likkle to leave home and he gave me a look of contempt and went to the living room in disgust, lol. Mind when I didn't follow him he soon popped his head in the kitchen, just so as to say to me, r u coming or what. I'm from the northeast of England UK and old enough to remember animal magic on the tv, jonnie moriss was the person who did the voice over for all the animals. Suppose that's where I got most of my madness from. Joey.

Joey Arnetti

Hebburn, Tyne and Wear
I have to ask.... what is cushion floor ?
It been known as lino and cushion floor. It's used as flooring for say a bathroom or kitchen as flooring.
Why I mentioned it in my reply to the other persons post is, it is a good liner for the enclosure and is water proof also. On here I've seen people having problems with the base of their torts enclosure after spraying the soil. And the base has rotted. I asked the lass I bought likkle Jack from and she found that cushion floor is the best. U have to make sure to allow for three inches each to go up the walls of your enclosure.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
It been known as lino and cushion floor. It's used as flooring for say a bathroom or kitchen as flooring.
Why I mentioned it in my reply to the other persons post is, it is a good liner for the enclosure and is water proof also. On here I've seen people having problems with the base of their torts enclosure after spraying the soil. And the base has rotted. I asked the lass I bought likkle Jack from and she found that cushion floor is the best. U have to make sure to allow for three inches each to go up the walls of your enclosure.

Ah yeah got it. Was thinking it is something else. Actually pond liner is a great liner.
However your tortoise appears to be fully grown. Does he gets a good amount of outside time ?

Joey Arnetti

Hebburn, Tyne and Wear
According to the vet he can be 9 or 10 inches long by the time he's finished. Outside time is hard as my front lawn is open planed, and dogs roam on it. My sisters friends brothers sorting out the back garden as its got loads of red chipping stones, weeds and dangerous for my tort, he's gonna sort it so there no problems for likkle Jack, and put a liner over it all, then lay artificial grass. Then put up a fence. So he will be safe

AgataP

Seattle, WA
According to the vet he can be 9 or 10 inches long by the time he's finished. Outside time is hard as my front lawn is open planed, and dogs roam on it. My sisters friends brothers sorting out the back garden as its got loads of red chipping stones, weeds and dangerous for my tort, he's gonna sort it so there no problems for likkle Jack, and put a liner over it all, then lay artificial grass. Then put up a fence. So he will be safe

Weeds are better than artificial grass. Pretty sure that is not the best idea. Your tortoise will eat the fake grass.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Weeds are better than artificial grass. Pretty sure that is not the best idea. Your tortoise will eat the fake grass.
Nah...astro turf is tuff plastic or something like it. I've used it for water turtles and creeps of baby CDT...it's not easy to eat. But please please make your tortoise a bigger habitat and stop allowing him to be on the floor. Bad freakin idea