frozen steamed vegies

Status
Not open for further replies.

fel1958

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
tri states-pa.,n.y.,n.j.
we eat these at the table a couple a times a week.there is a great deal of variety in these mixes.those of us in the northeast are limited to the fresh varieties.im wondering if they are fed just warm maybe once a week,,,,,hmmmm.what does everybody think on this one.has anyone used them before????????

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I feed them every so often, however I remove the lima beans (because my birds won't eat them I figure the tortoises shouldn't either). The peas, beans and corn aren't a good diet for feeding very often, and the only time I ever use it is when I'm totally out of everything else and haven't been to the store.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I agree with emysemys. I use them occasionally for my box turtles. I keep some at home and ready to go should I need them. I usually only use them when I haven't had time to get to the store and have nothing fresh to feed. I also agree with removing the starchy veggies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I would never feed these to my tort. I have Mazuri on hand for emergencies. Corn is too sweet, beans and peas are starchy. The only thing I can think of that might be fine in very small quantities every once in awhile would be broccoli. Squash is good but I haven't seen it frozen. I don't see the need the feed someone just because I can. I only give my tort what I think is the best. Doesn't cost much anyways.

fel1958

10 Year Member!
tri states-pa.,n.y.,n.j.
tortoisenerd said:
I would never feed these to my tort. I have Mazuri on hand for emergencies. Corn is too sweet, beans and peas are starchy. The only thing I can think of that might be fine in very small quantities every once in awhile would be broccoli. Squash is good but I haven't seen it frozen. I don't see the need the feed someone just because I can. I only give my tort what I think is the best. Doesn't cost much anyways.

cost was not the issue.we allways have mazuri because we sell it.i was looking for maybe something different to offer in the diet.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
It is of my opinion that the quality is not worth offering it for variety. I find enough other foods for variety that I don't want to feed those types of foods. Do you want to list what you currently feed to see if we have ideas of what else you may be able to add? Have you tried growing any food for your torts? Best wishes.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
My neighbor's father fed the frozen vegi mix to his DT as staples for years and I saw the result: the poor old tortoise had a grotesque pyramid condition. I would think twice even for emergency.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Madortoise said:
My neighbor's father fed the frozen vegi mix to his DT as staples for years and I saw the result: the poor old tortoise had a grotesque pyramid condition. I would think twice even for emergency.

It didn't pyramid because of frozen veggie mix. Its fine to feed just about anything, if you only do it once in a while. Most of us with outdoor tortoises can tell you stories of our torts eating things on the "toxic" lists and surviving and thriving in spite of it.

We should all try to feed the best diet possible, but they come across all sorts of stuff once in a while in the wild. I've seen video of a Galop hunting and eating birds it squashed. I've seen footage of a leopard tortoise scavenging the leftovers of some big cats' kill. I'm certainly not going to recommend feeding meat, but even that isn't going to kill them.

Status
Not open for further replies.