Newbie diet info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSimpsons

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have 2 sulcatas, 9 monthes and 6 monthes. Up to this point most of their diet has been romain with some vegies a few times a week and tortoise bites which i think are cactus pare? I know i need to get them on a better diet.

Looking to plant some seed to help get them on that better diet. Also wouldnt mind getting something better for them at the grocery store.
Any help is appreciated!

kevin-

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
kevin, depending on where you live, you might be able to grow most of the food your sulcatas would require. there are a couple of sites recommended for seeds (try searching for 'seeds'). if that's not an option, you can try ordering dandelion greens from your supermarket produce manager. clover, mulberry, and grape leaves would also be great additions to their diet. romaine should be fed sparingly because your little guys need lots of fiber and romaine lacks fiber compared to these other plants.
you should also get phosphorous free calcium powder to put on their food.

TheSimpsons

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
josh said:
kevin, depending on where you live, you might be able to grow most of the food your sulcatas would require. there are a couple of sites recommended for seeds (try searching for 'seeds'). if that's not an option, you can try ordering dandelion greens from your supermarket produce manager. clover, mulberry, and grape leaves would also be great additions to their diet. romaine should be fed sparingly because your little guys need lots of fiber and romaine lacks fiber compared to these other plants.
you should also get phosphorous free calcium powder to put on their food.

they have been getting the calcium powder about every other meal.
thats good to know, my parents have a ton of grape vines! and alot of clovers too

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Some sites for seeds, http://www.turtlecafe.com , www.carolinapetsupply.com , I give my give 6 month sulcatas a mix of and rotate often, endive, escrole, dandelions, dandelion greens, clover, grass blend, russian blend (they love it), spring mix w/o spinach, green leaf, red leaf, mustard greens, collard greens, Plus they have the grass in the yard, orchard hay, timothy hay, and another one I ordered and can't remember the name but they love it. I also have holyhock leaves that I throw in sometimes, hibiscus, and wheat grass.

TheSimpsons

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thanks for all the feedback, the last two morning they have been getting a mix of weeds from the garden, dandelion, clovers, and some others that looked smilar to the dandelion leaves.

I did have another question though. whey you guys say clover are you talking about sourgrass? Here in Cali its grows like crazy, iv fed them some the last few mornings and when i get home from work there is a mess of stems all over their tank, is this because the stems are sour and the clovers themselfs arnt?

TheSimpsons

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jenrell23 said:
spring mix w/o spinach, green leaf, red leaf, mustard greens, collard greens,

is spring mix something you buy and pull the spinach from? Or is it just what grows in spring???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Spring mix is one of those "yuppie" packaged lettuces. No, there is no need to pull the spinach from it. When people say not to feed spinach, they really mean, "a diet totally consisting of spinach is not good" Variety is the key. A little bit of this and a little bit of that. In the spring mix there isn't enough spinach to worry about it. I buy the salad-style hay from carolinapetsupply.com, then I moisten the packaged lettuce (usually spring mix) I place a handful of the spring mix on the feeding tile then sprinkle it all over with the cut-up hay. They eat it all.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.