frog moss

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
I thought I'd try some frog moss to help keep in the humidity without making the substrate wet and put it in a few of my viv's. I soaked it before putting it in and put it around the water dishes. Even when the top dried out a bit, the bottom stayed wet and really did a good job holding the humidity up. This is Pio's
025-9.jpg

024-5.jpg

It also kept the water dish really clean when he went in and out.

Here's lil Bindi..loving her butter worm
020-7.jpg

one more cause she's so cute
018-6.jpg

I'm really happy with this moss. What I love about it too is that when you want to take it out ...just let it dry and it stays green until you hydrate it again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Where do you buy that? I love the idea of a clean waterer.

Yvonne

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
No...If it isn't hidrated, it can be stored in a plastic bag somewhere. When I got mine, it was all dried up in the plastic bag, and I just soaked it and it perked right up.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Have you seen the compressed bricks of "frog moss" at places like Petco? Does that stuff some to life too?

brymanda

5 Year Member
Florida
I've heard the Petco stuff works the same way, but I've never tried it myself.

Also, I've read that you can put moss in a blender with buttermilk and spread it over the places you want the moss to grow. I don't know all the details but I was thinking about doing a little more research and trying to get it to grow on a little wooden hide-a-way I have.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I've always wondered what that stuff in Pio's viv was. It looks so green and nice. I'm going to get Dale some of that for sure. Thanks Terry. :)

Shalon

5 Year Member
I've always loved the look of Pio's enclosure. I am going to order some of the moss..and if it keeps the water cleaner it is a double bonus!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
brymanda said:
I've heard the Petco stuff works the same way, but I've never tried it myself.

Also, I've read that you can put moss in a blender with buttermilk and spread it over the places you want the moss to grow. I don't know all the details but I was thinking about doing a little more research and trying to get it to grow on a little wooden hide-a-way I have.

That's really interesting...let me know how that works out if you do it.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I'll try the petco stuff out... but it looks pretty dead and shredded to me... Maybe it needs some milk? lol ... but I'm not gonna pour milk-moss paste into my tort enclosure..

Shalon

5 Year Member
brymanda said:

I've heard this many times. I looked and found a lot of websites that say you can do it. They mostly use it to grow moss on rocks or bricks. They also use a sugar/beer mix or yogurt.
http://gardening.about.com/od/gardendesign/qt/How-To-Grow-Moss.htm

speck86

5 Year Member
once the moss is wet, does the dirt stay intacted with the moss?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
speck86 said:
once the moss is wet, does the dirt stay intacted with the moss?

Yes. I soak it for a few minutes to hydrate it and then piece it together. So far I have just misted it every other day and it has stayed nice and green. I put it on one side all around the water dish and a little further, and then I put a piece of a log across the viv. and on the other side I put peat moss mixed with soil with lots of leaf litter on top. I did this for my lil three toed hatchling. I don't use hides in my boxies enclosures only lots of leaf litter on top of the substrate on one side.

Bindi is a little Three Toed Hatchling. She's only about 11 or 12 weeks old.
001-27.jpg

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Is frog moss safe for all torts? Specifically my Russian? I've always thought it was meant to be just for frogs. Is it harmful if they try to nibble it? And can I put it down right on top of my Bed-A-Beast/Play sand mixture? Or does it have to go down on top of rocks and things? Its always looked appealing to me..but I was never sure..

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It is suppose to be perfectly safe, if they graze it.

Status
Not open for further replies.