Friend/mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshall

5 Year Member
I have a 6 year old female leopard tortoise. She lives a very comfortable life in a large outdoor enclosure. She has become very interactive in the past year. She will follow me around and let me scratch her head and neck. I think she needs a companion. Maybe a mate?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Marshall:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Is Marshall your username or your real name? And may we know where you are?

I have a 5 year old male leopard tortoise who lives with two adult females. He has recently started mounting the females even though he's half their size. Your 6 yr old might be sexually mature, but tortoises really don't need a companion in order to be "happy." They are solitary animals and actually prefer to be alone so they don't have to compete for the best hiding place or for the food.

If you do decide to get another leopard tortoise, be sure to have a quarantine period. And be prepared to make another habitat just in case they don't get along when you finally do put them together.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
While I host four adult males they each have their own yards and will each have their own winter sleeping boxes....they each enjoy their own time and they each "seem" to enjoy a moment with me from time to time....I don't believe they are lonely :D

I agree completely with Yvonne....

Marshall

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Marshall:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Is Marshall your username or your real name? And may we know where you are?

I have a 5 year old male leopard tortoise who lives with two adult females. He has recently started mounting the females even though he's half their size. Your 6 yr old might be sexually mature, but tortoises really don't need a companion in order to be "happy." They are solitary animals and actually prefer to be alone so they don't have to compete for the best hiding place or for the food.

If you do decide to get another leopard tortoise, be sure to have a quarantine period. And be prepared to make another habitat just in case they don't get along when you finally do put them together.

As to your question, I live in Los Altos, CA. I am not necessarily looking for a mate for my tortoise. I am just curious about her change in behavior. Up until about a year ago she would hide in her shell whenever anyone came near. Now she actively seeks company. She will crawl into my lap or my wife's lap and enjoy being rubbed on her shell, head, and neck. This is not something I have trained her to do. It is her choice and apparent desire. She will eat out of my hand also, but mainly she is not looking for food. This doesn't fit with my idea of tortoise behavior.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You know...I've heard other leopard keepers say this too. We joke about leopards being pretty rocks with no personality. And after reading your post, I wonder if the change in "personality" may have something to do with them reaching sexual maturity.

The little male that I told you about above is still just a pretty rock. As soon as he sees me he stands quite still pretending to be invisible, but then, he doesn't need me to be the object of his affections, as he has two girls who live with him.

It will be interesting to see if your tortoise's personality changes after she gets over her hankering to breed (if that's what it is).

We have some leopard breeders here on the forum. I hope they see this thread and offer their opinions on this subject.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I bet she associates you guys with pleasure...so of course she would need time to get use to you...then decide if she likes you...and seems to be yes :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

When tortoises are little and in the wild, everything eats them. It pays to be a scardey cat and be very cautious. As they age and get bigger they perceive less of a threat from the outside world. Combine that with her feeling of safety in her own environment, her positive (food) associations with "her people", and possibly some hormonal action, and VOILA! A change in behavior. Some of them do what yours is doing and others stay shy for ever.

I definitely agree that she will live a long and happy life as the only tortoise in her territory. If you did want to add some companionship to her life, I would recommend at least two more tortoises, not just one. It can be two more females if you have no desire to breed or a male and a female if you do. Often in pairs one can sometimes get bullied or stressed in subtle ways. This is much less likely with three or more. And definitely quarantine any new ones and run fecal checks on all of them before you allow them to even come near each other or tread on the same ground.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What I've seen is that after some time, tortoises (like people) will become more comfortable in their surroundings and even with the people they frequently come in contact with. It sounds like that may be happening with your tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.