Freeze dried crickets

Filburt

Location (City and/or State)
Milwaukee, wi
Hey all. So Filburt has always enjoyed eating crickets. Either recently killed or freeze-dried. I know red foots are primarily vegetarian, so is it normal for them to love animal protein that much? She only gets a couple as a treat every once in awhile. She straight up stops whatever she is doing and runs for my hand. I started covering them in calcium powder so at least she is getting calcium with them (she tends to avoid the powder on her other foods, but then tries to eat white rocks if I am not watching her closely outside). They are seriously her favorite treat in the world. More so than even cantaloupe.

Have your torts ever had them?

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
Mine loves the freeze dried crickets and meal worms. I mix them in her food at least a few times a week. I also give her more fruit on the protein days.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoot are jungle floor vacuums.
A LOT is on the menu. Rotting animals and insects included.
I use freeze dried meal worms and I mix them into my Mazuri.
Crickets are prone to STINK.
Have a good UVB. Vary the food and don't lose any sleep over the powder. I actually don't use the stuff myself. Ssshhh. Don't tell anyone.
Redfoot are special.

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
Redfoot are jungle floor vacuums.
A LOT is on the menu. Rotting animals and insects included.
I use freeze dried meal worms and I mix them into my Mazuri.
Crickets are prone to STINK.
Have a good UVB. Vary the food and don't lose any sleep over the powder. I actually don't use the stuff myself. Ssshhh. Don't tell anyone.
Redfoot are special.

I have a thing with bugs :oops: - so I'm happy they make them freeze dried. I can handle that.

AmberD

Ontario
I feed mine live butterworms (one every few weeks) for protein, he will literally run for the food bowl when he sees it. Freeze dried crickets and mealworms are great ideas, I may have to try those as well!

Filburt

Milwaukee, wi
Does that mean that I cloud feed my tort crickets from the backyard or is that a no no?

In my experience, live crickets in general are disliked. I bought a box of them and they just scared Filburt and jumped all over her. But when I killed them and gave them to her, she loved them.