New Yellowfoot 2 year old advice needed

Adrian Tufton

5 Year Member
I just got a two year old Yellowfoot a week ago. I'm having difficulty getting her to eat
today, or drink water since she got here. She ate a lot of cantaloupe the first day,
half a boiled egg minus the yolk on the second. A bit of pineapple and yellow squash
the third day. On the fourth day, which was yesterday, she had an 'explosion' we will
say, all over the floor. At two in the morning, it nearly took the bedroom door off it's
hinges. Probably too much cantaloupe.

Anyway, today she turned her nose to strawberries, mango, turnip greens, and an
apple. Walked right over them. She also won't drink water period, which is why I've
been offering her so much fruit to begin with. I put her in shallow water numerous
times a day, and man does she get apoplectic.

She has cuttlebones, TNT, and reptile calcium powder, so I've got that covered. I planted
dandelions, turnips, white clover, marigolds, carrots, yellow squash, and chicory. The
problem is, that she won't eat today, (maybe that's not a problem, I'm not sure) and she
HATES being in water, and WILL NOT DRINK to save her life. Any suggestions would be
helpful. I've tried reasoning with her, but it goes in one ear and out the other.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
What are the temps?
Without at least an 80 degree temp, your tortoise can not process or digest correctly.
Also, a lot of fruit will do just that. Lots of poop.
Place her IN a shallow pan of warm water with sides that are too tall to escape. Or a kitchen sink and let her hang out. She's going to drink.

Adrian Tufton

5 Year Member
What are the temps?
Without at least an 80 degree temp, your tortoise can not process or digest correctly.
Also, a lot of fruit will do just that. Lots of poop.
Place her IN a shallow pan of warm water with sides that are too tall to escape. Or a kitchen sink and let her hang out. She's going to drink.
I've been doing that a couple times a day, but only for 15 minutes or so. I'll do it
again right now. How long is too long?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I just got a two year old Yellowfoot a week ago. I'm having difficulty getting her to eat
today, or drink water since she got here. She ate a lot of cantaloupe the first day,
half a boiled egg minus the yolk on the second. A bit of pineapple and yellow squash
the third day. On the fourth day, which was yesterday, she had an 'explosion' we will
say, all over the floor. At two in the morning, it nearly took the bedroom door off it's
hinges. Probably too much cantaloupe.

Anyway, today she turned her nose to strawberries, mango, turnip greens, and an
apple. Walked right over them. She also won't drink water period, which is why I've
been offering her so much fruit to begin with. I put her in shallow water numerous
times a day, and man does she get apoplectic.

She has cuttlebones, TNT, and reptile calcium powder, so I've got that covered. I planted
dandelions, turnips, white clover, marigolds, carrots, yellow squash, and chicory. The
problem is, that she won't eat today, (maybe that's not a problem, I'm not sure) and she
HATES being in water, and WILL NOT DRINK to save her life. Any suggestions would be
helpful. I've tried reasoning with her, but it goes in one ear and out the other.
What's your instead like, is the tort indoors or outdoors. Photos of the enclosure and tortoise would help. How big is the tortoise?

Adrian Tufton

5 Year Member
Wouldn't drink out of her water dish or bath, but boy did she drink when I
put her under the hose. She crawled up the fence to get into a good position,
stretched her neck out and slurped it up. I ran it real low and allowed the stream
to fall on her head. The closer I had the hose to her, the more she drank.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wouldn't drink out of her water dish or bath, but boy did she drink when I
put her under the hose. She crawled up the fence to get into a good position,
stretched her neck out and slurped it up. I ran it real low and allowed the stream
to fall on her head. The closer I had the hose to her, the more she drank.
Great!
All you really have to do is make sure that her enclosure, temps and humidity, and her diet, are correct, and that she always has clean water and her soaks.
My iguanas LOVE to drink from the garden hose, they lap it up, or any moving water, rather than still standing water. But they do drink, when you are not looking!

Adrian Tufton

5 Year Member
Great!
All you really have to do is make sure that her enclosure, temps and humidity, and her diet, are correct, and that she always has clean water and her soaks.
My iguanas LOVE to drink from the garden hose, they lap it up, or any moving water, rather than still standing water. But they do drink, when you are not looking!
I'm always looking.:p