Frankel

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingskettle

5 Year Member
Leos 026.JPGLeos 028.JPGLeos 018.JPGThis is Frankel this afternoon in sunny Spain. Both him and Julian are outside most of the day now as the temps are in the 70's. He started to pyramid last year after coming to me at 5 years old completely smooth. I have upped the humidity in his cave at night and he sleeps on damp sphagnum moss with a CE above the plastic cave and the humidity is now in the region of 70%. Both Leopards are bathed twice a day in warm water and usually drink both times. Julian has a little bit of pyramiding but I'm hoping that upping the humidity will stop it from getting worse. They usually spend their day in a grass/weed covered pen but I watered it last night and forgot to turn the water off so wasted several cubic metres of water and totally flooded their pen as the water ran on it all night!!! Not a good move in a drought stricken part of Spain!! So today they had to make do with the concrete run.

www.cactusinspain.com
http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/lemmalade/media/Leos026_zps52890700.jpg.html

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They don't look bad. I want to make sure though that I understand what you said. Even after 5 YEARS of age, Frankel started to pyramid? If I got that right, that so stinks that even at five they could still start to pyramid. I would love to see pics of when you first got him, if you have any. Thanks.

kingskettle

5 Year Member
wellington said:
They don't look bad. I want to make sure though that I understand what you said. Even after 5 YEARS of age, Frankel started to pyramid? If I got that right, that so stinks that even at five they could still start to pyramid. I would love to see pics of when you first got him, if you have any. Thanks.

They were both 5 years old when I bought them and perfectly smooth, then last year Frankel started to pyramid. Julian isn't as bad. Both live together and eat the same food, a mix of weeds and flowers. They are out in the sun every day, even in winter as it's so mild here. They are bathed twice a day. Unfortunately, all the photos I have of them are on the old computer at the bottom of a cupboard none on this new 'pooter. Also the router has been changed twice since the old one went on its go-slow and I have no idea how to get the old one up and running to look at all the wonderful photos I have on there. I have some old posts on here so maybe the smoother Frankel is on them. I'll have a look back.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
He is a beautiful leopard. Just curious, what kind of conditions were they both kept in before, when they were smoother? It sounds like you are keeping them well hydrated and plenty of time in the sun.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can you post before and after pics when ever you are able to? What size was he at five years old and what size is he now?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
And I just asked over in Julian's thread, but I will ask here too. I wondered if whom you got them from happened to mention if they knew what region they originated from. Specifically, are they from the Ethiopian area? Just curious if these are descendents of the ones that went to Spain, possibly your area in the south. : )

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Sucks that he STARTED pyramiding at five. If this is correct there goes the theory that they stop at 2/3 years??
I think they look great though :) and sounds like they have a good lifestyle!

kingskettle

5 Year Member
Frankel.JPGJulie.JPGThese photos were taken in April last year. I'd had them 7 months by then. Frankel is already starting to pyramid. Before this he looked like Julian, the tortoise in the second photo. They were bought from a pet shop in the area and assume they were bred in Spain as the petshop owner phoned the person he bought them from to ask their age for me. Frankel grew very quickly. He weighed 522gms when he came to me and in a year he had gained 1608gms and weighed 2130gms. Julian weighed 473gms and after 1 year had put on 832gms and weighed 1305gms. Julian is still a lot smoother than Frankel. I haven't measured them for a few months but will do that tomorrow.

Did I really say in my blog that the temperature reached 140 degrees????
OMG! My brain must be deteriorating faster than I thought!

Both Leopards were bought from a petshop in the area. I'm sure they were bred in Spain as the petshop owner rang to ask how old they were.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
They went from perfectly smooth to that degree of pyramiding in only 7 months? Not that it's a terrible amount. I too was under the impression that after a certain age or size they were safe from pyramiding.

I really hope I don't have to keep mine in a humid enclosure for another 5 years...

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I am finding it hard to believe they were perfectly smooth. They may have been considered smooth when compared to the typical leopard but not "Tom's" leopard tortoise smooth. When I look at the pictures, the scutes growth rings all seem to have been growing that way for some time.
Yours still look good, don't get me wrong. I'd be a proud owner of those 2 beauties!
I'm just pointing out what I think I notice.

kingskettle

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
I am finding it hard to believe they were perfectly smooth. They may have been considered smooth when compared to the typical leopard but not "Tom's" leopard tortoise smooth. When I look at the pictures, the scutes growth rings all seem to have been growing that way for some time.
Yours still look good, don't get me wrong. I'd be a proud owner of those 2 beauties!
I'm just pointing out what I think I notice.

You are probably right as I have absolutely no experience with tortoises at all. But Frankel still has more pyramiding than Julian which kinda puzzles me as they both share the same environment. However, they now have a humid hide to add to their earthly delights so I can do no more!!

www.cactusinspain.com

Status
Not open for further replies.