Foxtails hazardous?

Booker's Sue

Location (City and/or State)
SF East Bay
It's finally hot enough here in northern CA to bring Booker out of his winter digs. Usually I cut back most of the weeds in his outdoor enclosure, but I'm thinking he might prefer to eat his way through. Will foxtails hurt him?

upload_2018-5-29_16-20-48.jpeg

Booker's Sue

SF East Bay
That’s comforting and can save me a ton of yard work! Thanks, because I’d hate for his throat to get scratched up with foxtails. I know what trouble they are for dogs in nostrils, ears & paws.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tortoises live in a sea of foxtails for several months a year. We usually weed whack them all down in April, and then they just walk around in them all summer until the winters rains come and the cycle starts all over. We have at least a half dozen different species of foxtail too.

In all of my years housing all of my tortoises outside with foxtails its never been a problem. I've asked my reptile veterinarian friends, and none of them have seen a case of a tortoise of any species having any foxtail issues.

To the best of my knowledge, they are not a problem for tortoises. But do keep your dogs out of that area for sure!

Booker's Sue

SF East Bay
Tom,
This is such great news! By clearing so many of the weeds in the past I may have been removing some of Booker’s favorite treats!
Thank you,
Sue

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
It's finally hot enough here in northern CA to bring Booker out of his winter digs. Usually I cut back most of the weeds in his outdoor enclosure, but I'm thinking he might prefer to eat his way through. Will foxtails hurt him?

View attachment 240241

Foxtails are a hazard, to the eyes...the nostril and also, they take up alot of gut space with little nutritional value...they are a horrid invasive species and should be removed where ever possible....