(found tortoise)Help!

HobieCat

Location (City and/or State)
Shingle Springs California
Hello, my name is Abby Hobert, about a week ago I found a big tortoise out side of my house. I had never seen such a thing before so I put her in my garden and put up found signs thinking someone lost it. I gave it water and (maybe she) she drank a lot and I ordered tortoise food. As I was looking online I thought she was a Mojave Desert tortoise but I am not sure I am not really sure what to do with her because I read online that they are supposed to hibernate. I want to keep her I just want to make sure I am not going to harm her accidentally;) any advice would be great, Thankyou!!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hello, my name is Abby Hobert, about a week ago I found a big tortoise out side of my house. I had never seen such a thing before so I put her in my garden and put up found signs thinking someone lost it. I gave it water and (maybe she) she drank a lot and I ordered tortoise food. As I was looking online I thought she was a Mojave Desert tortoise but I am not sure I am not really sure what to do with her because I read online that they are supposed to hibernate. I want to keep her I just want to make sure I am not going to harm her accidentally;) any advice would be great, Thankyou!!

Please post a picture of the tort!
If it's really big, I would guess sulcata. Does it have thick scales on the legs?

HobieCat

Shingle Springs California
This is a beautifully cared for leopard tortoise and I'm willing to bet his owners are beside themselves at losing it. Please do all you can to find them and get this tortoise back home.

Do you have any idea how to care for one while I try to find its owners? We have been feeding her lettuce and pellets, but it is very cold outside now. Should we move her into our garage under a heat lamp?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They come from Africa and are not good in cold weather. They are browsers, but do eat a bit of grass too. Keep it warm at night and allow it to graze in your yard (as long as you haven't sprayed with chemicals). We have a care sheet pinned at the top of the leopard tortoise section. Yes, if it's too cold outside, then it will need to be set up with heat and lights.

BucktownExotics

Bucktown, PA
Also, if you haven’t, try calling the police station, vets office and local SPCA to see if anyone has reported the tortoise as missing. Thank you for caring for it while you locate it’s owners. I am sure they are worried sick especially if it is cold out!

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Does your neighborhood have a community website where you can post a found ad? I am sure the owners are heartbroken about the lost of their tortoise.

Salspi

Chicago
Judging from that perfect shell, someone cared very well for that tortoise. They gotta be looking for it. Maybe go ask around your neighborhood.