found three toed with cracked shell?

amandamb

Location (City and/or State)
mississippi
Hey everyone. I went for a walk this morning and found another couple mating. Well I noticed blood on the leaves surrounding the female. I waited and on further inspection the females past Ron is cracked all the way through. I have no herp vet near by and on top of that my car is down so I can drive her to the herp vet that is 40 miles away. I don't see any other damage so I can't understand how it may have
happened.what should I do? Look at the picture and tell me what you think .

1464456358607.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Leave her alone right where you found her. Turtles have recovered in the wild from far worse injuries than that. I took in a rescue that someone had picked up out of the wild that had a hole in her carapace about the size of a 25 cent piece. You could see her organs. I'm not sure if she would have made it if left alone, but she's alive and well here, 5 years later. They are much more resilient that we give them credit for.

amandamb

mississippi
Omg. I wouldn't think they could but then again I'm a new observer to them. What worried me about her was she had a couple of ants come out of the crack. But if they can come back from things like this I'll leave her alone. All I know is if I had something like that going on then mating would be the last thing on my mind. Lol

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I suspect (and this is partly from observation) that 3tbt's (and probably other boxies) have this habit sometimes, if they come to a steep bank or small cliff edge, to just jump off, closing up tight, and hoping for the best. They like to gamble with their health.
I suspect a couple wild ones i've seen with cracks may have gotten them that way.

amandamb

mississippi
That might be why. There is a steep cliff at the back size of my property which would put them on my side if they did in fact jump. Its not to far from where I found her. Maybe I should put up a small ramp right there. i love having the turtles around. We walk everyday and see how many we can spot. Its amazing
How many ddifferent turtles we have found. Today only we have found four. So if I can help keep them from hurting themselves then I'll gladly do it.