northern boxie cracked shell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason g.

5 Year Member
Well my problem is that scince everyone I know knows how much I like torts and turtles people like to tell me good and bad stories about turtles. A friend of mine said he found a northern box turtle with his shell cracked down the side. He just moved it off from side of the road and went on. Before I realized what I was saying I told him if he seen it again get it for me and I would try to nurse it back to health then release him back were we got him. Is this a mistake on my part or should I let nature take it's course. I don't care about the laws I just feel for that little turtle. That's why I want some input by more novice owners. If his shell may heal on his own I don't want to touch it but if it will surely die I would like to try to save it. That is if he shows up again.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
RE: northern boxie cacked shell?

you need to care about the laws... but you can rescue it and give it to a rescue or center or become part of that rescue and be legally covered to care for native wildlife.
It depends on how bad the injury was...

jason g.

5 Year Member

Laura said:
you need to care about the laws... but you can rescue it and give it to a rescue or center or become part of that rescue and be legally covered to care for native wildlife.
It depends on how bad the injury was...

I'm Sorry I stated that wrong I meant that I'm not concerned about the law if the law means I have to let it die when it doesn't have too . It's not the way I roll I don't let any animal suffer cause of a law. I'll face the consequence before I allow that. My concern is for the turtle not man's law. I understand why the laws are there I told people before summer that I see boxies all the time. This year I havnt seen one in the wild that I found. So I understand why they are there and I've made a decision not to own a boxie because of the law and there #'s dwindling every year. I just won't let something suffer if I can help it. He said it was pretty bad. No bleeding but he described it as a bad crack from the front to the back but it was walking fine. He said it went back towards the road so he took it about 20 yards from the road and left it alone.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal

I don't see anything wrong with rehabilitating an injured turtle so you can get him back into the wild. I don't know the laws in your area, but the laws are there to protect the turtles - to keep them from being collected. If you are helping an injured one get back into the wild where he can live and reproduce, I see nothing wrong with it. (I"m not suggesting you ignore the laws in your area - a rehabilitation center would be the best, but keep in mind your motives are pure.)

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or

it could have been an old wound by the sound of it but it could have been filled so that no infection could take place then released. there are always rehabbers in the area who can guide you.

Status
Not open for further replies.