really old Three toed....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
I have a three toed male that I got recently. He was wild caught and kept in a bird cage for ten years. I want to get him to a good home as he seems to not want to go in the garden. I found someone willing to take him but they want a male to join a herd, 7 to be exact, of females. They want to know if he will mate with them. I am not sure how old he is but he is almost completley smooth which I hear is a sign of old age. He is very active, friendly and has beautiful coloration on his face. Lots of white and bright orange. Will really old boxies mate, and therefore ne a good trade, or should I just work with him more and make him the patriarc of my garden?

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
He needs time,poor little guy.
Just build him an enclosure outside, and see how it's going. also watch the temperatures.
if you like him then keep him and introduce into your garden , with his own house....

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

I'm sure he's not too old to mate. its up to you. but since he was is whole life alone maybe it's better if you would just keep him by himself, in your garden

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
His own herum....I bet he would recall rather quickly what to do in the company of the ladies :p and what a fantastic change for him , from caged loner to gigolo to the ladies....I bet he would be fine and learn to be happy...lol..however, in all seriousness, I think that as long as the person observes interactions and monitors behavior to assure they mesh well, he should be fine as the only retired man in the yard...

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Thanks for the input. I brought him over to the guy who had the females and the guy said he would not trade anything for him because of the way he looked! Mind you, Picard is old and smooth and a bit small, but he is very dark, almost purple on his head and legs and he has awesome white coloring on his beak, neck and face. I saw through this guy at once and Picard is now safely back in his garden where we built a supdivision for him to get used to being outdoors again. I thought I was bringing him to someone who would give him a nice home and maybe get a new female for my other males. Not so!

I learned a lesson though. You have to be careful who you are dealing with and if possible, go to their house. This guy said he had a great place where he would be happy with a bunch of girls, the reality was this was a "puppy mill". My gardens are for the turtles. If they decide to breed then that is their choice. If I find the babies we house them and get them to good homes but otherwise, nature takes its course as much as we can let it. We feed extra treats and pen them up during storms and the winter, but otherwise, they live free as they can without being returned to the wild. No puppy mill for my little guy!

SANDRA_MEISSNEST said:
He needs time,poor little guy.
Just build him an enclosure outside, and see how it's going. also watch the temperatures.
if you like him then keep him and introduce into your garden , with his own house....

I'm sure he's not too old to mate. its up to you. but since he was is whole life alone maybe it's better if you would just keep him by himself, in your garden

Picard is pretty old. He was in quarantine with another rescue I have and they got along like long lost brothers. Since I posted this, he has moved to his own private pen in the garden and is doing awesome. He will go to the big garden in a month or two with the new female we got this afternoon and the other four we have out there.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
After reading your last post...happy to hear he is being set up with you ,....good call and how dare someone say something about how a mature gent looks...hmmmm, what does that guy know anywhoo....:p

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
ascott said:
After reading your last post...happy to hear he is being set up with you ,....good call and how dare someone say something about how a mature gent looks...hmmmm, what does that guy know anywhoo....:p

The funny thing is, after he took a closer look at him, he saw the unusualy dark almost purple skin and the bright white spots and started to try and trade for him. It was then that I figured out his game and bailed with my old man and two of his Russians as well as an old three toed gulf coast mix boxie.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
See i told u its better to keep him for yourself. Can we see a pic. Of him?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
SANDRA_MEISSNEST said:
See i told u its better to keep him for yourself. Can we see a pic. Of him?

Of course!Here he is the day I rescued him. He is in the big garden living the vida loca now!

Attachments

• DSCN0577 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN0577 (640x480).jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN0593.JPG
    DSCN0593.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 31
  • Ancient Three Toe Quarantine tub.jpg
    Ancient Three Toe Quarantine tub.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
He is looking good, im sure he.is going to love the garden ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.