Found the cutest name for my tort!

Oliver&Stoick

Location (City and/or State)
South Wales
We had the same problem naming our little Russian. It’s suppose to be a she but since we won’t know for 3-5 years I wanted to remain gender neutral. First I called her Remy but that just didn’t stick. Then one day I accidentally called her Rolo like the candy. And it had a nice ring and now she’s been Rolo every since! She’s 6 months and a friendly little piggie! We’ve had her for 3.5 months. We love her to death!

I love that name! Great idea.

Oliver

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
Oh cool, mines 3 months old. Awe how cute, I read that tortoises have a high IQ and they recognise their owners.
How awesome! My Tort won't come to me and I'm sure she knows who I am. She gets grumpy and goes and hides after her soakings, it's like she doesn't want to be bothered by me. Maybe I should be handling her more? I only handle her to take her to her soakings and to inspect her weekly.

San Jose
Yea keep handling her, soon she will get used to you and then become more content. My tort was the same way when I got him. He would run under his log or bush and hide and be grumpy and not eat. Now he gets happy or should I say more content he doesn’t flail around his arms n legs when I hold him in the air to inspect him. Now he’s very calm looks me directly in the eye and I pet his head he loves pets. And when I put him back he goes to his food I love watching him eat.

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
Hi,

That's good to hear that handling her will help. :) I have been trying NOT to handle her as I was under the impression that it wasn't good for them. Where I came to that conclusion I haven't a clue. I love to hold her and watch her eat, I'm always taking pictures of her. It may sound kind of strange, but, I do think she knows her name now. :)

Oliver&Stoick

South Wales
My tort was alright with me handling him for the first time. He didn't panic and try to escape and try to escape, all he did was stare at me. He was probably thinking, "So, are you gonna feed me now, or are we just gonna stare at each other while you talk like an idiot to me,"

San Jose
Hi,

That's good to hear that handling her will help. :) I have been trying NOT to handle her as I was under the impression that it wasn't good for them. Where I came to that conclusion I haven't a clue. I love to hold her and watch her eat, I'm always taking pictures of her. It may sound kind of strange, but, I do think she knows her name now. :)

I’m on your side, regardless of what others may think I know for sure any animal can understand it’s name. When I call my tort by his name he pokes his head out and up to see what’s going on.

San Jose
Not only does my tortoise know his name Sheldon, now with great love and training lol I know have my tort poke his head out when I call him and when I tell him I love him he gives me the sweetest long eye blinks telling me he loves me right back AND with much practice and tremendous amounts of patience I know have Sheldon accepting kisses. I just adore him so much and everyday I hold him and let him and give him kisses, now when I say the work kisses in a high pitch voice kinda like mini mouse all sweet n kind he pokes his head out for kisses, he lets me kiss his snout and the top of his head, omg it’s so gosh dang adorable! Sheldon is more than just a pet he is my family and very intelligent and I treat him as such !!!!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
My son named our Sulcatas Big & Bad. They have only been with me a week this Friday but they are adorable. They each have different personalities and have begun to respond to me in different ways. Even though they were to be “his”, they are my obsession now!

San Jose
My son named our Sulcatas Big & Bad. They have only been with me a week this Friday but they are adorable. They each have different personalities and have begun to respond to me in different ways. Even though they were to be “his”, they are my obsession now!
That is so cool! I’m mean how can u not just love cute animals like tortoises. They all have their own personalities and I’m lucky because I think my tort has a sweet personality, he’s shy, sensitive and dainty lol. My sister has a female Russian tort and she’s a grumpy Gus lol complete opposite of my Sheldon lol but I love her too her name is Shelly.

San Jose
I’m trying to teach shelly about kisses lol and she ain’t having it lol she tucks her head in her shell and hisses lol I guess I have bad breath lol lol hahaha