Found the cutest name for my tort!

hollygaucas

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
I keep his tank around 75-80 and the humidity around 70 and he really likes that. When I had the temp more hot say 80-90 and the humidity around the same, he looked uncomfortable and lethargic now he’s happy and runs around his tank and stands on top of his log to bask.

Is that 75-80 degrees F? Is there any chance you could send me a picture of your enclosure because my humidity is nowhere near that and I would like to add a few things to his enclosure to increase humidity? You can send it to me on a private message if you feel more comfortable with that?

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Ok, basking temp should be 95 to 100, otherwise your tort can not digest its food. At the ages you are talking about, there is no was of knowing the sex. The tort will be 4 to 5 years old before you can definitely know or have flashed to see if it is male. Just a few tidbits of info. We have a Russian tort section with care sheets. Please go and read these. It will help with your setups and diet, specially for babies. To low of a temp can cause respiratory infections and in a babie can be deadly.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Is that 75-80 degrees F? Is there any chance you could send me a picture of your enclosure because my humidity is nowhere near that and I would like to add a few things to his enclosure to increase humidity? You can send it to me on a private message if you feel more comfortable with that?
You may need to cover your enclosure to get the humidity up. 75 to 80 degrees is a good overall temp. Basking should be 95 to 100. In a baby, if you don’t have higher humidity, they will pyramid. As they reach about one year old, you can take the humidity down some. They should also have a humid hide.

San Jose
Ok, basking temp should be 95 to 100, otherwise your tort can not digest its food. At the ages you are talking about, there is no was of knowing the sex. The tort will be 4 to 5 years old before you can definitely know or have flashed to see if it is male. Just a few tidbits of info. We have a Russian tort section with care sheets. Please go and read these. It will help with your setups and diet, specially for babies. To low of a temp can cause respiratory infections and in a babie can be deadly.

My tort is male and it is very easy to tell sorry that you can’t tell the difference.

hollygaucas

Manchester
You can ask any expert on this forum. The only way at that age is to have it surgically checked, or if it is flashing.
@Yvonne G

Sorry Cheryl but it looks like Gwen is very convinced that her tort is male considering her sister has a female and they can compare differences. She doesn’t need someone on this forum telling her what she already knows. It’s pointless.

San Jose
Sorry Cheryl but it looks like Gwen is very convinced that her tort is male considering her sister has a female and they can compare differences. She doesn’t need someone on this forum telling her what she already knows. It’s pointless.

Well I did take my tort the his vet right when I got him to make sure my baby had a good bill of health and I was told there my tort was male. And when I look at him I feel so it’s true. But I guess so in the end we will all truely find out. Now what’s some good suggestions on how to make his basking hotter? I live in the Bay Area it’s cold here now so the humidity easy gets high. Is it good to have humidity at 80-90?

Oliver&Stoick

South Wales
That is an amazing name. I called mine Stoick for two reasons.
1. He/she is named after Stoick the Vast because I love How to train your dragon (Thats where my obsession with reptiles came)
2. Apparently that name means Strong and Silent
which fits Tortoises perfectly

hollygaucas

Manchester
That is an amazing name. I called mine Stoick for two reasons.
1. He/she is named after Stoick the Vast because I love How to train your dragon (Thats where my obsession with reptiles came)
2. Apparently that name means Strong and Silent
which fits Tortoises perfectly

So true!

Oliver&Stoick

South Wales
My Tortoise is only three so i don't know its gender but I don't think that it would mind if it was a girl and it had a male name. but I think that the Stock is a pretty uni-sex name.

Oliver

hollygaucas

Manchester
Well I did take my tort the his vet right when I got him to make sure my baby had a good bill of health and I was told there my tort was male. And when I look at him I feel so it’s true. But I guess so in the end we will all truely find out. Now what’s some good suggestions on how to make his basking hotter? I live in the Bay Area it’s cold here now so the humidity easy gets high. Is it good to have humidity at 80-90?

Well the expert says it! Get a higher wattage light to make it warmer. Yeah that’s great humidity!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

There is no way to physically tell the sex of a baby without surgically going in and looking at the gonads, and that high humidity is great, but only if you can get the temps high enough. And yes, getting a higher wattage should help your temp problem :)

hollygaucas

Manchester
Cute name. When I was younger there was an older lady that worked at Taco Bell with me that every time something went wrong she did say "oh! pickle juice"! It was so cute that I named my rabbit pickle juice...

Haha! Cute!

Rhea

Missouri
We had the same problem naming our little Russian. It’s suppose to be a she but since we won’t know for 3-5 years I wanted to remain gender neutral. First I called her Remy but that just didn’t stick. Then one day I accidentally called her Rolo like the candy. And it had a nice ring and now she’s been Rolo every since! She’s 6 months and a friendly little piggie! We’ve had her for 3.5 months. We love her to death!

Attachments

• F2518288-6378-4B1A-A73F-84B201726FCF.jpeg
    F2518288-6378-4B1A-A73F-84B201726FCF.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11

hollygaucas

Manchester
We had the same problem naming our little Russian. It’s suppose to be a she but since we won’t know for 3-5 years I wanted to remain gender neutral. First I called her Remy but that just didn’t stick. Then one day I accidentally called her Rolo like the candy. And it had a nice ring and now she’s been Rolo every since! She’s 6 months and a friendly little piggie! We’ve had her for 3.5 months. We love her to death!

Awe what a lovely story! What substrate is that of which you are using?

San Jose

Rolo is a great name. And it’s a yummy candy!