Found an egg (not tortoise)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
Hey guys, I was walking my backyard with Tina today and found an egg by the side of my pool. I don't know what to do with it or what kind of egg it is. It is about 2" long. Just about the size of a regular chicken egg. The color is a light beige. The trees around my property are quite large and I don't think it came from them because I think it would've cracked. It doesn't appear to be. We have two ducks that like to call our pool cover home . I'm wondering if it is a duck egg? Anyone know what it is or what I should do with it?

021bbc9b.jpg

5bf79470.jpg

1d67129e.jpg

Laurie

5 Year Member
ascott said:
What type of ducks?? How exciting and a fun mystery.....

I'm not sure what kind of ducks :( I actually took a picture a couple of weeks ago. Not the best pic, but here it is.
4a46dd79.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Duck eggs incubate for about 28 days. You keep them moist and at about 100F degrees. They have to be turned several times a day.

Sometimes, if an egg has accidentally broken in the nest, the goopy stuff gets stuck on mom and occasionally an egg will get stuck to her as she exits the nest.

http://www.duckeggs.com/hatching-eggs.html

Laurie

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Duck eggs incubate for about 28 days. You keep them moist and at about 100F degrees. They have to be turned several times a day.

Sometimes, if an egg has accidentally broken in the nest, the goopy stuff gets stuck on mom and occasionally an egg will get stuck to her as she exits the nest.

http://www.duckeggs.com/hatching-eggs.html

Thanks. I'm not prepared to incubate eggs. I don't have an incubator, and will not be able to care for an egg/ duck hatchling. Is there someone I can call, I don't know, like animal control or something? Or I can drive it to someone nearby.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
The ducks are Mallards.... I bet the egg is too!.... and since she is not sitting on the egg, you just as well make breakfast! (it's probably steril)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Mallards yes....what are your outside temps? Maybe fluff a spot of leaves and set it in the pile and let nature do what she sees fit? You can put it in a bowl filled with leaves and set the egg in the bowl...place a basking lamp over it at an appropriate height to achieve the 100° temp Yvonne spoke of and see what happens...when and if it survives you can eventually release it to join the other ducks...?:D

Lol...seems to me you have been laid a big fat dilemma.....good luck to which ever you decide...

Laurie

5 Year Member
froghaven5 said:
I agree. Duck eggs are yummy and make great cakes :)

Lol, I don't think I can eat a duck egg! I've been having a hard time with chicken eggs eversince I've been looking at the tortoise egg hatching pictures:rolleyes: in particular the one of the triplet redfoots, I have no idea why, just pops in my head!

I tried ascotts suggestion and just piled some leaves around it for now. It will stay pretty warm tonight. I'm sure nothing will happen with it, but hey, you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.