Found a turtle with paint all over it

Gea Kelly

My husband was out mowing our yard today he saw what he thought was a ball but when he got closer he realized it was a turtle of some sort. It has paint all over its shell and number written on it. He placed it back where he found it but I got him to look again and it's still out there. Could this be a lost pet? Is the paint on it safe for this little guy to get around without being attacked? I'm not sure what I should do. Any info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_6468.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please take it in. It was someone's pet most likely. However, they do not deserve to get him back, doing that to him. Please take care of him or find him a proper home. Please do not give it back to the original owners if you happen to find them looking for him.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
It looks like a male three toed box turtle. It could have been a pet, but it could also be a turtle used for turtle races. People will gather them up, paint numbers on them and enter them into turtle races. Then the real damage occurs when the turtles are released into an area different from their original home area. The turtles obsessively try to get back to home turf.

Take a look at: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/box-turtle-care-sheet.93937/

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
Please don't release him like that. Or give him back to original owners. Poor thing.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
It looks like a male three toed box turtle. It could have been a pet, but it could also be a turtle used for turtle races. People will gather them up, paint numbers on them and enter them into turtle races. Then the real damage occurs when the turtles are released into an area different from their original home area. The turtles obsessively try to get back to home turf.

Take a look at: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/box-turtle-care-sheet.93937/

BINGO! PJay is spot on! Male 3 toed part of a turtle race at some point. I live near small towns that still do this stupid #%*@ with painted turtles!

Greta16

Western Maine
I can't believe crap like that still goes on. Poor guy. Hopefully you can give him a good home or find someone who can. I imagine in the wild that paint makes him stand out like a sire thumb. Poor guy..or gal!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Rachael403

NE, USA
I had a friend that found a turtle that was covered in blue paint. She put it into a dish that was not deep enough to drown it, but let the shell soak and scrubbed it off the shell with her hands. Friction and water worked great. I was ready to find a rehabber for the turtle (she lived on the other side of the state from me) and she kept it for a few days in her backyard and released it.

Gea Kelly

Little guy is doing great. If he was someone's pet they should be ashamed for doing this to him and if he was in some sort of race that's awful. I've never heard something so crazy. I gave him a soak today but the paint didn't soften at all. Thanks to everyone for all the info and help! I will not be releasing him as I do feel he would just be a target.