FOUND A TORTOISE

Gordi

Location (City and/or State)
Warwickshire,England
Oh to live where the wild torts grow !!! So many escapees are our little Russians lol.... All cites registered torts are now supposed to be microchipped here in the UK. Sadly all the tropical and the Russian are not cites registered so they don't need to be, mine are chipped so god forbid they ever get lost I pray they find their way back to me. I do think if you can't ID the tort you should contain it temporarily as you wouldn't want to introduce a possible disease risk to your native species. once confirmed then release it again. :0)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Oh to live where the wild torts grow !!! So many escapees are our little Russians lol.... All cites registered torts are now supposed to be microchipped here in the UK. Sadly all the tropical and the Russian are not cites registered so they don't need to be, mine are chipped so god forbid they ever get lost I pray they find their way back to me. I do think if you can't ID the tort you should contain it temporarily as you wouldn't want to introduce a possible disease risk to your native species. once confirmed then release it again. :0)
Hi again Gordi The vet told me microchipping involved a small operation to insert the chip into the back leg, so I was a bit worried about putting Lola through that - was it a difficult procedure and did it cause much stress to your torts?

Gordi

Warwickshire,England
It's not an op as such, it's put in the skin layers in the back leg, more like an injection, it's worth doing I think Lyn, it would stop any argument or dispute if she was lost and then somebody claimed it was theirs but you knew differently. Can't dispute a chip !! You have to weigh up the likelihood of her wandering off. I know Leo's can be stubborn when they fixate on a task, lol

Gordi

Warwickshire,England
They were not bothered by it, the Ibera felt it more I think but they are smaller but they soon got over it :0)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks Gordi not such a big deal as I thought will look into getting it done

Gordi

Warwickshire,England
Just be sure the vet knows the procedure. If they are familiar with torts it will be a quick thing with little fuss, knowing Leo's she might sulk a little but torts live in the now, and will soon forget the ordeal. :0)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Tidgy is native to Morocco, where I live.
I found her and took her.
But not from the countryside, from somebody's house where she was being horribly abused.
I nursed her back to health and fell in love.
I could never release her back into the wild, now.
She has been in captivity since a few months old and I don't think she would survive.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I'd like to think Lola would miss his Mum too,,,,,he's definitely been friendlier lately. He follows me and if I sit on the floor he comes to lie by the side of me. He doesn't like me try to grab him but if I put my hand down he will rest his head on it and then he will let me stroke him - all on his terms but I love it.

Myroli

I found a desert box turtle a couple weeks ago...but since it had been run over by a car(it was on the side of a busy back road)I picked it up and took it to a wildlife rescue...I hope it survived

kbarj

5 Year Member
west central Missouri
I found a desert box turtle a couple weeks ago...but since it had been run over by a car(it was on the side of a busy back road)I picked it up and took it to a wildlife rescue...I hope it survived
Ive found two box turtles that had been run over. one I rereleased the next day because it just had a broken shel, no blood and it still closed good and could walk fine. The other was injured pretty badly, blood and cracked. I took it to the local conservation center. THEN today I find a sulcata crossing the road. And earlier this spring I found a parakeet in a tree by the driveway. Lucky me.

Myroli

Ive found two box turtles that had been run over. one I rereleased the next day because it just had a broken shel, no blood and it still closed good and could walk fine. The other was injured pretty badly, blood and cracked. I took it to the local conservation center. THEN today I find a sulcata crossing the road. And earlier this spring I found a parakeet in a tree by the driveway. Lucky me.
I hope you either found their owners or are able to find/give them a good home :)

GameScrub

I just found a tortoise in my neighborhood, I have no knowledge about what kind of tortoise it is or the laws regarding handling of these creatures. I thought it was a lost pet so I took it home and asked the neighbors, but no one claimed it.

My instincts told me to protect it from the cars and kids and that is why I took it. I went to a pet store to ask about it and whether I can keep it. They said yes but I still don't know if it's a protected species or not. I sent an email to http://www.azgfd.gov/ to find out what I should do with it, but in the meantime I'm trying to take care of it.

Is there any advice I should take on how to proceed?
11826019_10153269468494442_4874927883980639620_n.jpg

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
I just found a tortoise in my neighborhood, I have no knowledge about what kind of tortoise it is or the laws regarding handling of these creatures. I thought it was a lost pet so I took it home and asked the neighbors, but no one claimed it.

My instincts told me to protect it from the cars and kids and that is why I took it. I went to a pet store to ask about it and whether I can keep it. They said yes but I still don't know if it's a protected species or not. I sent an email to http://www.azgfd.gov/ to find out what I should do with it, but in the meantime I'm trying to take care of it.

Is there any advice I should take on how to proceed?
11826019_10153269468494442_4874927883980639620_n.jpg
Put it back where you found it that is a desert gopher tortoise

GameScrub

Put it back on the sidewalk by the street? I rather drive out to a park in the desert and let him go there if I must.