FOUND A TORTOISE

GameScrub

No, it's a residential area. This whole area is developed and that is why I thought he escaped. The hoa in my area use those ride able lawnmowers so that was my first concern if I left it on the grass, but he was going in the direction of the carports, which is how I found him, while going to the car for work. That is why if I have to let it go I would drive up to the desert where there is little to no development to let him go.

I called that number twice but no one is answering so I sent them an email about it. If I don't hear from them by today I'll just let him go and buy another tortoise from a pet store.

I looked around for signs of missing tortoise in my area but I don't see anything other than missing cats.

Angel Carrion

Location (City and/or State)
Douglassville, PA
I don't know if that is a good idea because some, if not all, turtles and tortoises have a "homing Beacon" and will attempt to get back to their home range. Or this may just be a box turtle thing. Not 100% sure on that. I'll wait for someone that knows torts to either say I'm wrong or I'm right on that.

GameScrub

This is the reply I got from the AZ Wildlife Center

Thank you for your interest in taking care of the little guy. Would you be able to send me a picture of him so we can verify it is a Desert Tortoise?

Since you found it in a residential area, it is probably someone’s lost pet. We recommend you put up signs for about 48 hours and see if someone claims it.

DO NOT release it. Captive Desert Tortoises can harbor diseases that can be deadly to our wild population of the Desert Tortoises. You wont need to fill out an application for it for another 2 years. We do not require an application for hatchling tortoises.

So I will setup the sign today and see what comes of it.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I'd go with what they said, then. It could be that this was either someone's pet or someone found him and decided to take him home and turn him into a pet then either got bored and released him or lost him.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
ha I barely see toads t my house et alone a tortoise we live in the pa so a tortoise isn't native I guess box turtles are and garden snakes but I never seen a snake or turtle in our backyard I wish I saw on like you guys

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
ha I barely see toads t my house et alone a tortoise we live in the pa so a tortoise isn't native I guess box turtles are and garden snakes but I never seen a snake or turtle in our backyard I wish I saw on like you guys

I see snakes, toads, frogs, and snappers mostly. Most common are toads followed by frogs, then snakes. Snappers not so common. Think I've seen five since living here? Been here 9-10 years. All the other snappers I've seen have been when people called me going OH MY GOD GIANT DINOSAUR HELP ME. The five I saw on my own, though? One on a highway, two in my creek, one in a field near my creek, and one on my grandmothers front step.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
So how's the tort doing, OP?

she's doing good do you think hawks cats or groundhogs will mess with my tortoise I was going to take a area of the backyard for her outdoor habitat a open roof area with wire

awesomecs

5 Year Member
I see snakes, toads, frogs, and snappers mostly. Most common are toads followed by frogs, then snakes. Snappers not so common. Think I've seen five since living here? Been here 9-10 years. All the other snappers I've seen have been when people called me going OH MY GOD GIANT DINOSAUR HELP ME. The five I saw on my own, though? One on a highway, two in my creek, one in a field near my creek, and one on my grandmothers front step.

I see lots of toads that's it only my parents saw the snakes lucky my dad let it go before I came home from school

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I see lots of toads that's it only my parents saw the snakes lucky my dad let it go before I came home from school

About two months ago I ended up saving what I thought was a copperhead from the middle of a bridge down the street from me (at first I thought water snake and just grabbed his tail and pulled him out from his balled up self so I could grab his neck like I normally do, but a car that slowed down to see the crazy lady in the road yelled at me "the hell you doin' Savin' a damn copperhead?!" Then drove off). Took him to a wildlife rehab that is licensed for venomous species (I'm not) cuz he looked like someone ran over his lower section. Was informed my initial assumption was correct, he was a water snake. Also that besides two scales pulled up in a strange fashion, he was okay and could be released. So I took him back and put him at the creeks edge under the bridge I took him from.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
nice you saved a reptile whatever it is I use to put toads in protected areas of are backyard