Found a Russian on my way to work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
What confuses me, now, is that it looks like the pictures are of two different tortoises. Either that or there was some significant time difference between them and the tortoise's shell darkened or lightened extensively.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I didn't look that close. But maybe they just posted all the pics they had. Hard to say. I understand your concerns. Like I said before, not everyone gets the correct care info. Heck, we get newbies all the time that has to change everything they are using, because they either got the wrong info, or just threw it in a box, no matter the size and bought a nasty container of pet store food and a light:( however, they were lucky enough to find TFO. Took me about three months to find TFO and of course started out with wrong humidity info. Now I'm having to fight pyramiding. The point though, is if this is the same Russian, they care enough to have gotten it and to try and get it back. They should have that chance. I just hope I live in a place that would at least try to find the rightful owners. Which I think I do, thankfully:)

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I hope you find its owners. I find myself looking in fields or along farms searching for torts all the time with no luck. I've become obcessed with it. And others just come a crossed them...lol

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
jtrux said:
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and im completely fine with that, thanks for your input.

Don't get me wrong, Jtrux, but I find that reply quite insulting.
I am less tolerant than you, and I would gladly take away legally the right of an idiot to express his poor intelligence, in a very confident and proud manner... the world is full of idiots, and they are very active- I think you see them everywhere, at work, on TV etc... but in your opinion, you are more liberal than me.
From the moment in wich Wellington expressed that simple, but correct view, he could not be offered the same right to be entitled to an opinion that you recognise even to an idiot, because he made more sense than a certain "everyone". It was in fact the reply I wanted to post yesterday, since I was surprised that you did not even mentioned an attempt to find the owners... but waited to be sure I got it right.

No, not everyone is entitled to an opinion. In some cases, it is just the arrogance of the stupid to consider that his moods are on the same level as another people logical reasoning. Law forbids lots of things, but why not stupidity too? Tough question... maybe they need voters?

I would be desperate to lose one, and never to find again. Maybe you didn't felt that "cold" in the back of your head when not finding one in its enclosure... I tell you, it's a really shitty and creepy feeling. I am sure many of the fellows here know what I mean. I was lucky to find them later.

"What goes around, comes around."

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Great response, you really know how to pursuade someone to do the right thing. I think ill name my new tort Vinnie, after you.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Contrary to what everyone believes I happen to have a great deal of appreciation for this forum and what it has to offer. I got to thinking about it and I sure would hate to lose my privileges to this forum due to this thread getting derailed the way it has. So in order to put this great ordeal to rest I went ahead and made a CL posting for this tortoise. It seems as if some people feel i'm some ignorant, heartless bastard and that just isn't the case because had that been so I wouldn't have stopped in the middle of rush hour and picked the little guy up.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/pet/3330978871.html

On a side note seeing as how this thread was intended to be about the Russian tortoise in the first place, I finally got home from work about thirty minutes ago (3:00am) and was able to get her in a spare rubbermaid container with an inch or so of coconut coir ( I know it's not enough but it's all I had prepared ) but not before allowing her to soak for 10 minutes in luke warm water. She really seemed to appreciate the soak and for the first time since I picked her up actually seemed to be relaxed. She took a few big gulps and I put her to bed in the container. Tomorrow i'll try and offer her some Mazuri and spring mix and see how her appetite is. If nobody claims her I will probably try to find her a home and if that's the case I won't let her go until i'm sure she's healthy and well.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
jtrux said:
Great response, you really know how to pursuade someone to do the right thing. I think ill name my new tort Vinnie, after you.

Well J., that's why people call me Angel... Heart :D.
I think I feel honoured... I hope- about Vinnie.

jtrux said:
It seems as if some people feel i'm some ignorant, heartless bastard and that just isn't the case because had that been so I wouldn't have stopped in the middle of rush hour and picked the little guy up.

I did not felt that way.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am glad your going to do the right thing with step too, also! Step 1 being saving the tortoise, Step 2 being trying to find the tortoise's owner. Plus sounds like Step 3 is going to be the right thing to do too, if the owner isn't found, make sure the tortoise is healthy and find it a new good home.

sooooooooo, i she eating?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You will never lose your forum privileges because of what OTHER folks post on your threads, jtrux. The only way to lose privileges is if YOU disobey the rules. So far that hasn't happened.

I feel very proud that you are doing the right thing, and proud to have you as a member here. We are passionate, and sometimes that comes across a little harshly. Please don't be offended.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
good job with the ad :) its vague enough so you no one can fake claim!

if no one does, i think you should keep her ;) you mention your gf warming up to torts, maybe this is destiny!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I too, did not think bad of you. Just a little harsh maybe on who you determind didn't deserve to have a tortoise. Even the ghetto or poor can love animals and deserve to have them, as long as they are taken care of. We will always still be here to help you with your new tort, or if you end up keeping the Russian. The members here are very passionate about our tortoises and lots of us can imagine the agony the owners might be going through. Very proud of you for doing the right thing. If its meant to be yours, it will be. Please understand, I don't believe any of us thought of you in the way you were thinking. Yes, you do have lots of compassion for animals, me too, more then people, but I know what it's like to lose (to death) an animal and that sucks. Knowing your pet may still be alive and has a chance of being found and not returned, would eat at me forever. What kind of care is he getting, are they keeping him warm, are they feeding him right, etc. good luck in what ever tortoise you end up with, Russian or another preference. We will be here to help if you need it.
Keep us posted.
Barb (Wellington just forum name)

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
The difference between the Russian's appetite amd my little baby Leopard's is pretty drastic! I gave her a small handful of Mazuri and some greens this morning and had to refill the bowl before I left for work! It took her a little while to wind down this morning and get somewhat used to being in that container but once she finally did she tore into the food. I didnt crush up the mazuri after soaking it and she took big bite after big bite until it was gone. So it seems as if shes very healthy.

Ive been very careful not to cross contaminate between the two tortoises just in case Russian has any parasites so whats a good way to ensure that shes parasite free, any home remedies?

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I have specific dishes reserved for each enclosure. Now when I soak them in scalding hot bleach water/soap solution, they all go in the same bucket, and likewise the same drying rack, but beyond that, I just keep everything separate.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sounds like she is indeed eating with all the gusto of a Russian. :D Nothing really works 100%, but feeding some raw pumpkin does have some properties that are helpful. Skin and seeds are actually often said to be the best, so I throw all of it into a blender and mix it up before feeding. Just be sure to care for the Russian after doing your other tortoise, wash/sanitize things after you use them in the Russian's area, and of course the good ole handwashing.

jtrux said:
It seems as if some people feel i'm some ignorant, heartless bastard

How could we feel that way after you stopped and picked up the tortoise off the street?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Jacqui said:
Sounds like she is indeed eating with all the gusto of a Russian. :D Nothing really works 100%, but feeding some raw pumpkin does have some properties that are helpful. Skin and seeds are actually often said to be the best, so I throw all of it into a blender and mix it up before feeding. Just be sure to care for the Russian after doing your other tortoise, wash/sanitize things after you use them in the Russian's area, and of course the good ole handwashing.

jtrux said:
It seems as if some people feel i'm some ignorant, heartless bastard

How could we feel that way after you stopped and picked up the tortoise off the street?

Your not a heartless B at all. We are all behind you, in the care of this Russian or your leopard and anything else, actually.:) Just want the rightful owner, if they care enough that its gone, to have a chance to have it back. That's all. It's nothing personal, just what is right. You still have friends on here. Your doing right by the Russian, just wanted you to see that you needed to do right by the owner. You've done, right and your doing great with the tort. Yes, the pumpkins and seeds are a good dewormer. Enjoy the little piggy, she might just eat you out of house and home :D

Status
Not open for further replies.