Found a Russian on my way to work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtrux

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
I was driving down a very busy street on my way to work and saw something cruising right in the mide of the road, I abruptly stopped and to my amazement it was a Russian tortoise. I placed her in the back of my Jeep and got to work. Once there I set her ( its a female ) up in box with some water and some of my salad I brought to work. Shes pretty active right now but im sure she will calm down when I get her home and in an enclosure. Not sure if ill keep her, Ive been really wanting another tortoise but havent been able to decide. Maybe ill see if someone wants to trade for something else. Anyways ill post pics later when I get home.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Why can't I ever spot a turtle or tortoise crossing the road? I've been interested in turtles and tortoises for over 30 years and I've NEVER seen one on the street.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Good luck with finding her owner. Meantime, good save.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I found her right in the middle of downtown san antonio in a ghetto neighborhood. Some people might not agree with this but im either gonna keep her or find someone who wants her.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 not working... :( *grrrr*

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't agree with you not at least trying to find its owner. Russians a great excape artist. Ghetto or not, they like tortoises, maybe even love it and is missing it. I sure wouldn't want someone to do the same to you. If they don't care for it, they won't claim it. If they do care, they probably have a CL ad running, trying to find it. Well, you have to live with it. Just don't forget, if you ever lose a pet and no one tries to find you, you'll know why.

What goes around, comes around

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
wellington said:
I don't agree with you not at least trying to find its owner. Russians a great excape artist. Ghetto or not, they like tortoises, maybe even love it and is missing it. I sure wouldn't want someone to do the same to you. If they don't care for it, they won't claim it. If they do care, they probably have a CL ad running, trying to find it. Well, you have to live with it. Just don't forget, if you ever lose a pet and no one tries to find you, you'll know why.

Great post!

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and im completely fine with that, thanks for your input.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
Yeah at least post something online on CL saying you found a tortoise! Don't specify what type of tortoise but give the location you found her....(So people can't just say "Yeah! That's the one"). People will email you wanting a free tortoise... Give it 30 days and renew the post every other day to give the people a chance. Then after say 30 days, I'd say it's safe to call her your own. I honestly would not post pictures either... Just have them email you with details!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You don't know who that tortoise belongs to. It might be single parent family and the kid worked hard doing chores for enough money to buy a tortoise. That kid probably loved his tortoise and is heart broken because it dug out under the fence.

Please don't try to second guess if the tortoise came from a good home or not. At least try to find the owner.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
its stealing if you dont at least try.. if you find the owner and they dont seem like a good home, you can offer to keep it or educate them... but you have to at least try..
Its how I got my male russian.. and no one ever came to claim.. so I kept him.
At first I thought it was a baby Desert tortoise.. learned a lot pretty quickly.. :)

pennyw

5 Year Member
north carolina
wellington said:

i agree!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not too, bad, but he looked like he had everything he was suppose to, even outside time. Russians that aren't kept with the proper landscaping I think shows more because of their beaks and things. Besides, don't forget, they are mostly wild caught form a pet store. Also, look what's out there for care info. If they haven't found TFO, they are just doing what is out there. Many of us have been there, before TFO was found. I little friendly education and a nudge to TFO and all could be better.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
The care looks good and it looks captive... Mostly from having young and having not moist.... Not in awful shape from what I can tell

Status
Not open for further replies.