Found a baby turtle, any idea how old?

Rubyfryk

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
So obviously no one knows exactly how old it is because I rescued it so no one knows when it hatched… but any idea? I bird dropped him on my driveway and I decided to keep him until he was okay but then I just decided to keep him because I didn’t want him to go get eaten by a bird because he already survived once when he shouldn’t have lol. I’m in South Carolina, near the coast, pretty sure it’s a River Cooter. (If any of that helps with maybe identifying when turtles hatch here?) BUT in the picture I circled what I think is from the yolk sack? So maybe he’s really young? I don’t know, any one have any ideas on an age?

Attachments

• IMG_4596.jpeg
    IMG_4596.jpeg
    323.2 KB · Views: 3

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's in his first year. I'd suggest that on 1/1/25 you can say he's 2 years old.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That is a baby that most likely overwintered in its nest and emerged when it warmed up this year. So it may well have hatched in Sept or Oct last year but if the ground above is colder than below they will often stay in their nest until the next spring when the temp above gets warmer than the temp at the bottom Of the nest. That’s why there is no growth yet even though it probably hatched 6 mos ago or so. This protects babies from freezing temps when they are very young and more fragile.

Rubyfryk

South Carolina
He's in his first year. I'd suggest that on 1/1/25 you can say he's 2 years old.
They stay this little for that long? So

They stay this little for that long? So if you’re saying he/she is about 1 1/4 year right now and they’re still so tiny? I had no idea they stayed so little so long!

Rubyfryk

South Carolina
That is a baby that most likely overwintered in its nest and emerged when it warmed up this year. So it may well have hatched in Sept or Oct last year but if the ground above is colder than below they will often stay in their nest until the next spring when the temp above gets warmer than the temp at the bottom Of the nest. That’s why there is no growth yet even though it probably hatched 6 mos ago or so. This protects babies from freezing temps when they are very young and more fragile.
Thank you! Gives me an idea at least!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Are you sure it’s not a river cooter? I have been between the two, but have been leaning toward cooter
The plastron and underside of marginals does look yellow-belly. Post a picture of the carapace and sides of the head/neck and we will know for sure.