fostering and or adopting...humans this time :)

Prairie Mom

At this point one is in jail and the other is on the run..... .
ugh...poor baby girl! I'm glad you guys can provide her with some loving stability.
an aunt might come forward but we shall have to wait and see.
I pray that what is best for everyone involved will take place. Please keep us posted and CONGRATS again to joining the WHACKY WORLD of PARENTING!:p

4jean

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York State
Congratulations!! I am so happy for you! I have fostered newborns too. Just relax and enjoy the moment. Hold her as much as you can and know that your loving touch is giving her the best start in life. Even the middle of the night feedings are offering her such stability and security. Keep us posted!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I haven't checked in in a while... Congratulations!! I really hope this works out for you guys! :D:<3: Does she have a name?

bullanddoser1

Thanks all! Mostly what we struggle with is how do we choose, I feel kinda awful looking at these listings knowing they all need a home. The other big one is, how to you help them adjust. We have taken the classes but its all pretty vauge. I have read a million books, blogs, and talk to friends with bio kids but we are in a program were these kids are coming out of bad situations so its not going to be easy we know. We are ready, don't get me wrong, but I guess it just does not hurt to ask for more advice :)

can't adjust perfectly. They are very resilient secondary to the life experiences they already had. all you can do is remind them that they are safe and that they are loved. dependent on the age group that you accept will depend on the struggles that you will endure. people always think that young children do the best, they do in some aspects but another aspect is a lot more difficult. it is also dependent on the situation they came from. Some of our children where severely abused others came from drug homes.
My husband is a cop and just him coming home from work was traumatizing to our children. in their little mind please officers meant we had to go away or that their parents / guardian we're in trouble. They are not a sign of pertection.
I would be more then happy to talk with you in greater detail privately. Please fill free to email me. [email protected]

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
can't adjust perfectly. They are very resilient secondary to the life experiences they already had. all you can do is remind them that they are safe and that they are loved. dependent on the age group that you accept will depend on the struggles that you will endure. people always think that young children do the best, they do in some aspects but another aspect is a lot more difficult. it is also dependent on the situation they came from. Some of our children where severely abused others came from drug homes.
My husband is a cop and just him coming home from work was traumatizing to our children. in their little mind please officers meant we had to go away or that their parents / guardian we're in trouble. They are not a sign of pertection.
I would be more then happy to talk with you in greater detail privately. Please fill free to email me. [email protected]
Thank you for that!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Just an update,
We have our lil foster daughter for 4 months now, so far she is healthy and happy. Mom is still in a treatment type jail and is soon to be out. Dad has failed a few drug test and has yet to see her since she was removed at a month old. Other than the constant worry of loosing her, this is by far the best thing I have done with my life. There is nothing greater (to me) than watching her grow and develope :)
Our next court date is in aug so mom has until then to stay clean and get her crap together.....this is her 5th child she has lost.....

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Just an update,
We have our lil foster daughter for 4 months now, so far she is healthy and happy. Mom is still in a treatment type jail and is soon to be out. Dad has failed a few drug test and has yet to see her since she was removed at a month old. Other than the constant worry of loosing her, this is by far the best thing I have done with my life. There is nothing greater (to me) than watching her grow and develope :)
Our next court date is in aug so mom has until then to stay clean and get her crap together.....this is her 5th child she has lost.....
You are an amazing person!! So happy to hear the great news :) It's so sad to hear of stories about drugs, alcohol & babies, it doesn't mix or make any sense :( I work with cognitively impaired children and adults. We have a few fetal alcohol syndrome kids that were adopted by a wonderful family. In fact I believe they are all siblings. There is 5 of them, they are really special kids.

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
I have been thinking of you and wondering how things were going since your last post❤️. So happy for you. My family does short term interim care for moms who need time to decide about adoption. We just had a sweet baby girl for two weeks last month. It is such a gift to get a newborn from the hospital and be able to provide her with tons of love. Every time it is gut wrenching to send them on..even though I know it's short term! I will keep you in my prayers each day. I am truly impressed that you are strong and brave enough to bring this baby girl into your home not knowing what the future holds. Give that sweet girl a snuggle from my family to yours. Keep us posted.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have been thinking of you and wondering how things were going since your last post❤️. So happy for you. My family does short term interim care for moms who need time to decide about adoption. We just had a sweet baby girl for two weeks last month. It is such a gift to get a newborn from the hospital and be able to provide her with tons of love. Every time it is gut wrenching to send them on..even though I know it's short term! I will keep you in my prayers each day. I am truly impressed that you are strong and brave enough to bring this baby girl into your home not knowing what the future holds. Give that sweet girl a snuggle from my family to yours. Keep us posted.
Thanks for kind words and prayers :)

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
We got a placement today! A tough cute lil baby girl born with drugs in her system. She's a fighter though! 4 weeks old and we just got back from the dr a bit ago! Excited and scared but feeling pretty blessed to be part of her journey!

I am so happy for you. This is great what you are doing. You are blessed. Enjoy the journey they grow too fast.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Wonderful that things have worked out so far. Do you think you would ever want to add another child to the mix?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Wonderful that things have worked out so far. Do you think you would ever want to add another child to the mix?
For sure, we want at least two to three. I probably will not do another infant though because of the long waiting process to find out if you will even get custody but an older child that is available for adoption would be a welcomed blessing.