Advice on adopting a 6 year old Sulcata please

Status
Not open for further replies.

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rocklin, CA
I have the current family of a 6 year old Sulcata coming over this weekend to see our yard and kind of interview my family in anticipation of us adopting their Sulcata. I have seen a pic of him and other than very slight pyramiding he is absolutely gorgeous! We have built the cinderblock walls around the perimeter of our backyard as he will have the run of the backyard. I will be going to the nursery and picking out a mulberry tree and some rose bushes I think to plant to give him shade and some snacks. We plan on using the house they'd bring with him for now and prior to winter we plan on retrofitting a play house for his winter home. I've done a lot of research and have spent lots of time here in the forums learning as much as I can. We are super duper excited about adopting this Sulcata and are really praying that his current family will choose us. With that being said, does anyone have any advice to give me? I really appreciate all of the knowledge and experience everyone here has. Thank you so much!

chadk

10 Year Member!
Sounds like he is heading for the perfect home - best of luck! (i have 4 sullies.... they are addicting!)

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
Thanks Chad! I totally understand how they could be addicting and I haven't even got him yet.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I just took in a rescue Sulcata a few days ago, she not in good shape but she is a sweetie. I have know idea how she was kept or what she was fed. She had her first cactus pad yesterday. I dont think the poor baby ever had one before cause it took a good 5 min. to get her to try it. So that all being said I would have a tablet ready for the visit and ask them how he has been kept, what does he eat, health ect. and write everything down. Ask if he digs, cause once they start you can bet he will keep it up. LOL. Sounds like you have a great set up for him and they should be impressed. Good luck and post pics of him ASAP :) :)

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
The "Mom" and I have been emailing back and forth. She's really good about giving me as much information as possible. She said he likes to start the morning with a head of romaine and will graze on grass the rest of the day. She'll give him some kale or a grape as a treat. He lives in a 10x6 chain link kennel right now and they move it around the yard when he's mowed down the grass too much. They also give him the clippings from their front lawn as well. She was sure to let me know that it must be chemical and pesticide free which I already knew. She's told me about his winter habits and how he likes to drink water and soak in his water dish and loves showers from the hose. I haven't asked about digging though. I will be sure to now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why would you want one of those horrible sulcatas? They dig, eat and destroy everything! And they get to be the size of a small car!!!

Ha ha. I'm just kidding. I love them. They are my favorite species and it sounds like you will do well with yours. Good luck.

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
Thanks Tom. I am just in love with them. I have visited a local reptile shop quite a few times that has 2 small sulcatas roaming the store. I sit on the floor until my family pleads with me to go, just watching and admiring the larger of the 2. He followed me around like a puppy dog. I've talked with the owner extensively about sulcatas. He's got 2 17-old sulcatas at home. Then when I saw them at the California State Fair at the reptile exhibit- oh my goodness. They had about 6 adult sulcatas. It was like a scene out of a movie where when I saw them, everything else faded away, a spotlight shone on them and I could almost hear the heavenly voices sing "Aaahhhhhh". I didn't want to leave. That was quite a bit after I'd started my research and already fallen in love.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh boy. You've got it bad. Soon you'll be looking for some "property" with some acreage. I have a feeling this won't be your only sulcata for very long.

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
Good news! The pre-adoption visit went very well. The family was very nice and gave us lots of great information about Gimli the Sulcata. They told us about his personality and habits. No he is not a digger. Woohoo! She was impressed with my knowledge of Sulcatas despite not having one yet. It looks like they'll be bringing Gimli to us on the 21st. Woohoo! I'm standing beside myself with excitement!

LameBMX

5 Year Member
NE Ohio
Congrats!

Im sure Grimli will have a good home with you. All that research means you understand what you are getting into. A few days ago a Sulcatta appeared crossing the street by me. I am currently trying to find the owner/fostering/learning.

Becki

5 Year Member
Albuquerque
Congrats!
Just a warning....careful with any new plants for the enclosure,they may contain pesticides or fertilizers.
All the best wishes for you and your new "obsession"!

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Congrats, that is great :) I want to see pics ASAP :) :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Very cool! Yes, you do sound well-read for not having a Sulcata. Congrats on the new family member and good job on doing your homework first. :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Its an Ilness and you have caught it!.. nice to see people SO excited and learning BEFORE they get the animal.
have fun!

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
Saturday is almost here and I can't hardly stand the excitement. He should be here around 1pm. I'll have to learn how to post pics between now and then.

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
Good luck! I also have a sulcata{he is 6 years old approx).We love him and his personality is awesome.He follows us around the back yard like a dog!

Status
Not open for further replies.